Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 27-05-11, 12:14

Default Elizabeth Berwick

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Elizabeth Berwick (only known from son's birth certificate 1841)

Date and place of birth
not known, about 1816 in Brighton Sussex

Names of parents
not known

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
not known

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Married William Martin, before 1838 probably in Brighton

Occupation(s) - if any
Charwoman

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

1841 - 30 Hanover St Brighton - with husband William Martin Carpenter sons, William 2 and Robert 2 months

1851 10/2 Kew St Brighton - widowed, with sons Robert 10 and James 8

Date, place and cause of death
not known, probably before 1861

Date and place of burial.
not known

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
probably not

Memorial inscription - if any
Old 10-04-19, 12:13

Update
William and Elizabeth Martin had four sons - William, Robert, James and Joseph, all birth certificates giving Hanover St Brighton as their birthplace.

I have still not found their marriage.

Now, my Dad, Elizabeth's great great grandson, has four DNA matches with the family of Thomas Berwick and Lucy Glazier of Buxted, Sussex. As they had three great grand-daughters named Elizabeth (from grandsons William, Robert and Richard), I still cannot be sure which is our Elizabeth.

Baby steps, though. And I still don't know what happened to Elizabeth Martin, or James Martin after the 1851 census. Or when William Martin died.

Last edited by marquette; 10-04-19 at 12:17.
Old 10-04-19, 17:03
Administrator

There is a William Martin death Jan-Mar 1847 Brighthelmston, age 37. Have you already ruled that one out?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-04-19, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
There is a William Martin death Jan-Mar 1847 Brighthelmston, age 37. Have you already ruled that one out?
Not entirely, Kite. Only to the point that the burial records say he was a Labourer of Egremont St.

I have compared all the Freebmd entries, GRO index records and transcriptions of burials listed in the parish records (Sussex Family History website), for Sussex, not just Brighton. From the time of Joseph's conception (early 1844, birth reg Dec 1844) to the 1851 census.

Nothing in Joseph's birth or death registrations (Feb 1845) indicated that his father is deceased, but I wanted to be cautious.

This 1847 death is the only one close to the approximate age of our William, but the address and occupation is clearly different.

Maybe I should just get the death certificate and see if it is different to the burial records ?
Old 10-04-19, 23:07
Administrator

Only if you have the money to spare! I should think it is unlikely that the burial record is wrong.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-04-19, 13:05

Given how little information is really on English death certificates, I think I will leave it for now. No other death/burial record I have looked at fits the known facts about William Martin.

However, having some DNA matches to the Berwick family gives me a little hope. Finding a DNA match for the Martin family will be more difficult, as I think only Robert had descendants and I don't know if William senior had any siblings.
Old 19-05-21, 12:36

Two years on, we have 8 confirmed DNA matches for the family of Thomas and Lucy Berwick, Dad's 5 ggps. Ancestry has suggested ThruLines to this Common Ancestor couple - backed up by several family trees.

Five of the matches are descendants of Thomas and Lucy's four other children (other than Thomas, who's grand daughters are the three Elizabeths). These descendants are sixth cousins to Dad and not really enough DNA match for determining which Elizabeth is which.

However, the other two matches are descendants of the sister of one Elizabeth - and the DNA amounts are as small as the rest, leading me to believe that Dad is not a descendant of that Elizabeth.

So I think that my ancestor Elizabeth is the daughter of Robert Berwick, the Elizabeth and the sister (Harriet) with DNA matches with Common Ancestors are the daughters of Richard Berwick and the third Elizabeth is, the daughter of William Berwick (and had no descendants).

So my Elizabeth Berwick's parents may well be Robert Berwick (1770-1853) and Elizabeth Taylor (1771-1835).

Elizabeth was baptised on 4 Mar 1810 at St Denys Rotherfield and born on 19 Dec 1809.

Tags
to3g28