Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 14-03-19, 10:52
maggie_4_7

Default Ancestry’s ThruLines Dissected: How to Use and Not Get Bit by the ‘Gators'

This may be helpful for some:-

"Ancestry’s new tool, ThruLines has some good features and a lot of potential, but right now, there are a crop of ‘gators in the swimmin’ hole – just waiting for the unwary. Here’s help to safely navigate the waters and not get bit!"

https://dna-explained.com/2019/03/11...by-the-gators/

Probably teaching us to suck eggs I would imagine but thought it was worth posting.
Old 14-03-19, 19:39

Lots of useful stuff in there, thanks for posting!
Old 14-03-19, 20:08

Thanks, Maggie. I'm approaching halfway through that article and I haven't even tested my DNA with Ancestry yet! Very useful, though. I'm hoping that when I do get around to it I might have a clue where to start.

I was watching a video yesterday that covers some of the same ground. He comes to ThruLines just before minute 22.

New Tools at Ancestry DNA

I'll leave it to someone with hands-on experience to say how useful the video is, and I apologize in advance to any who want to strangle him the next time he utters the word "okay?"

EDIT:
Aha. I no sooner went back to reading your article than I found the name of Blaine Bettinger in the next paragraph or two. He is the author and narrator of the video I posted.

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 14-03-19 at 20:20.
Old 14-03-19, 22:26

Thanks for this Maggie, it is very interesting and there is also another attahed article I want to read too.

I've just noticed that today, my ThruLines now specify parents, grandparents etc. It didn't do it yesterday. I still don't understand why I am missing ancestors but at least now it is easier to work out who is and isn't there.