Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-03-24, 22:04

Oh goodness.

Impossible to read but I can take a look on Ancestry tomorrow.

Last edited by Rachel; 19-03-24 at 22:10.
Old 19-03-24, 23:58
Administrator

There are number of passenger list sites, but I cannot find any early passenger lists for Lutterworth, although she was certainly at Port Chalmers 1873 and 1874
I would imagine that family memories for the newspaper story would get the name of the ship correct and the port of arrival, and Port Chalmers would be the entry point for Otago where he seems to have finished up.
Maybe the year is incorrect, or he may left c1869 and come via Australia. There was a quite a bit of travel between the two countries and not much in the way of passenger lists for trans tasman crossings.

It looks like the 1873 voyage was to bring in the last of able bodied men to work on public works schemes, particulary contracts to build the railways. The government had a contract with John Brogden and sons of Westminster, and one of the sailing reports the arrival of 104 passengers including a number of "Brogdens navvies".

The George Henry COX who died 1928 was b c1854 according to cemetery records, he is buried Oamaru. Doesn't that make him the right age to be Henry?

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 20-03-24, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiChris View Post
There are number of passenger list sites, but I cannot find any early passenger lists for Lutterworth, although she was certainly at Port Chalmers 1873 and 1874
I would imagine that family memories for the newspaper story would get the name of the ship correct and the port of arrival, and Port Chalmers would be the entry point for Otago where he seems to have finished up.
Maybe the year is incorrect, or he may left c1869 and come via Australia. There was a quite a bit of travel between the two countries and not much in the way of passenger lists for trans tasman crossings.

It looks like the 1873 voyage was to bring in the last of able bodied men to work on public works schemes, particulary contracts to build the railways. The government had a contract with John Brogden and sons of Westminster, and one of the sailing reports the arrival of 104 passengers including a number of "Brogdens navvies".

The George Henry COX who died 1928 was b c1854 according to cemetery records, he is buried Oamaru. Doesn't that make him the right age to be Henry?

Many thanks for such detailed info Chris.
Yes that 1854 Henry HAS to be George Henry. There is nobody else who fits.
Old 20-03-24, 21:30

I just want to thank you all for the amazing help.

The recent info I received was so contradictory and I'm not the best 'investigator' in the world, so although my initial idea was that this George Henry chap in NZ was really HENRY, proving it became a serious nightmare.

Sending you all A HUGE HUG, purrs and kisses