Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 27-07-14, 19:35

Angry Ancestry glitch

Some time ago I noticed on one of my ancestry trees that duplicate census's had been attached to individuals in my tree. Some people have 3 copies of the same census and others two copies but not all census's have been duplicated. So am now in the process of removing all the duplicate census's from the individuals profile page.

On looking at the actual census attached I'm finding they've also been attached to other people in my tree - not even the same family.

I don't know how this happened but it's so time consuming trying to get my tree back to normal. There are an awful lot of people to go through.

Has this happened to anyone else and is there an easier way of rectifying it?
Old 27-07-14, 20:46

I don't allow Ancestry to apply hints to anything. Invariably they are incorrect.
Old 27-07-14, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
I don't allow Ancestry to apply hints to anything. Invariably they are incorrect.
Same here, Their hints are as good as Genes Reunited matches and we all know what they are like
Old 27-07-14, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Lady View Post
Same here, Their hints are as good as Genes Reunited matches and we all know what they are like
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about those.
Old 28-07-14, 00:09

I've actually attached each census to the variious people myself having checked they're correct first.

I'm doing so because I want as much info on one sheet of paper as I can ie bmd, census (I add address and occupation to the description), parents, children, military service, emigration etc etc which I will print off and file for hard copy in case I ever lose online. I have separate files for census's, bmd's etc.

However I've found that many of the census when I checked awhile ago have two or three different people attached instead of just the one named - the other two names are totally not the right family even. So I'm ploughing through them all to make sure they're back to normal.

It hasn't happened to any of my other trees on ancestry
Old 28-07-14, 11:11

I've had things attach to multiple people and just had to unlink it from the wrong people.

As for ancestry hints I have found that they can be very good. Of course you have to check out each one but I have made a breakthrough from them.