Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-01-14, 20:15

There's a bit of a mystery about François' parents.

As I said, he and his brothers had quite posh jobs; Alexandre was a Colonel of the Gendarmerie, and (Antoine Jean) Dominique was Chairman of the Civil Court of First Instance in Algiers (something like the UK High Court) when he witnessed his sister's marriage in 1840, and a conseiller at the Law Courts in Algiers when he married in 1843, so you'd expect them to come from a pretty respectable family.

However...

I found the marriage of the parents, Charles-Joseph Giacobbi and Marie Trani, in Cervione in 1805. The registers are irritating to search, because this was during the revolutionary period, when the French used a special revolutionary calender, so the months are called things like Rainy, Flowery and Foggy.

Fortunately I found a decent online converter to convert the dates to the Gregorian calender.

http://www.napoleon.org:81/fr/essent...rier/index.asp

Anyway, the date of marriage of Charles-Joseph and Marie is 2 Germinal an 13 (23 March 1805).

And there are the births of two children: Alexandre Giacobbi on 1 Germinal an 13 (22/3/1805) and Dominique Antoine Jean Giacobbi on 2 Germinal an 13 (23/3/1805).

No idea if they were twins, with one being born just before midnight and one just after, or from two different families. The online registers for Cervione only start in 1863, so we can't get the parents' names.

When Alexandre Giacobbi, son of Charles-Joseph G and Marie Trani died in 1875, his age was given as 70, which would fit with the first birth.

And although the other brother is only named as Dominique when he witnesses sister Marie's marriage in Cervione, he's named on his own marriage certificate in Algiers as Antoine Jean Dominique Giacobbi. However, he gives his date of birth as 13 vendémiaire an 9, and it's also given in the normal form (5 October 1800).

It seems odd enough that twins would be born the day before the parents' marriage, but even odder that one child should be born 5 years before the marriage. I can't check the birth index, because the online indexes for Cervione start in 1802.

I don't think I've misread the parents' marriage dates or the children's birth dates, but they're here if anyone wants to have a look.

Marriage (entry no. 29):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86792817@N00/11936287496/

Births (entries nos. 120 and 121)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86792817@N00/11935720643/