Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History Stories

Old 03-12-10, 11:51
tenterfieldjulie

Default Pogson/Pugson Family

Thanks to the patient assistance of Kiterunner and Libby, I purchased my first UK birth record for my greatgrandmother and it arrived today. She was born at Side of Moor, Oldham on 1 December 1849. Comparing certificates, it demonstrated how flexible you have to be with spelling. She was known in Australia as Emma, but registered as Emily. Her father Daniel's surname and address at his marriage was Pugson, Bottom o' th' Moor, Oldham; On Emma/Emily's birth registration it was Pogson, Side of Moor, Oldham. At marriage his Occupation Carter, on her birth Carder. I'm also delighted to have found on Lancashire OPC, Daniel's (1825) and siblings baptisms at Shaw Chapel, Oldham and his parents, Daniel Pugson and Martha Stott marriage at St. Mary's Oldham on 5 Nov 1820. Sadly I also found Martha's death in 1836 aged 40, she was predeceased by two children. The oldest daughter, Ann, aged 15 would probably have had to care for her two year old and four year old brothers, as well as Daniel who was 11. On a happy note I also recently acquired Emma's photo.

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 24-11-12 at 04:56.
Old 03-12-10, 19:44

Quote:
Bottom o' th' Moor ... Side of Moor
Love these!!

Glad you have had such great results, Julie.

Old 03-12-10, 19:46

Julie, so pleased you got extra information from the certificate. It's always so fascinating.
Old 04-12-10, 10:05
tenterfieldjulie

Very chuffed about this side of the family, as we had so little about them. My mother would be very pleased.
Since yesterday I have found on Lancs. OPC Martha Stott's baptism 1796 and 3 siblings at Shaw Chapel and their parents marriage in 1787 at St. Mary's Oldham - Samuel Stott Weaver of the parish and Ann Wild of Rochdale. So now another name to the tree and more generations. I think that is at least four male weavers in my direct line from that area. ~~~~~~~~~~~~