Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 13-11-15, 13:41

Default 1939 Register Date of Birth Search

Like some other forum members, I thought the 1939 Register would not throw up much new information for me - how wrong I was

One of the things I have been attempting is to find exact dates of birth for those close relatives for whom I did not have a birth cert, just the BMD index entry. I have been surprised at how many of those I have found were registered in the quarter following the one in which they were born. I know that the births should have been registered within 6 weeks of birth but some are a tad more than that. Anyway, it was something I found interesting.

Back to the main point of this post. Has anyone any better & quicker way of searching for a DoB that is different from my method?

I find the person then do a search just on that person with the year +/- 0. This ensures I have the right person on screen. I then try the months, one by one, starting with the quarter in which the birth registration was made and working backwards. After I get a hit on the correct month I start on the day. This gets a bit laborious as it has often been the final number I have entered. I have tried using wild cards * and ? for one of the digits e.g. 1* to find numbers in the 10s or 2* for numbers in the 20s but the search does not seem to like this way of narrowing down the day.

Has anyone found a better way? It would be interesting to know what other people have tried.

Pat
Old 13-11-15, 14:05
Administrator

That's how I do it too, Pat, though of course we can't be sure the dob has been transcribed correctly without viewing the image.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-11-15, 14:31
Administrator

I've not found another way either. I've just searched the dobs for about 30 people listed on the same page and so far I've not found one correct date (ie a date that in any way matches their actual birthday or birth registration period) - so much for accurate transcribing!!

My father was registered about 10 weeks after his birth (I have the cert, obviously!).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-11-15, 17:27

I found a year of birth wrong - He was born in 1909 and on the index it was 1902.

I haven't looked at any yet as most of the people I need are in Scotland.