Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 17-10-14, 13:51

Wink Confidentiality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
That is not confidential. If I am searching for someone, I do not want the subject of my search to be public. The reason for searching for a name may be highly sensitive, for example, adoption. Equally, if my name appears in the list of names being searched, I would find that a breach of privacy.

Then use a paid service. The users details are not known or recorded so your search is confidential - please see FAQ for a full explanation

The reason the search is detailed on a website is to reassure Google of regular new content, it affects both natural and paid listings.
Old 17-10-14, 13:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Electoral Roll View Post
This is a long held fallacy.
Not really - I just said "I'm still trying to figure out why and how they would have details of people who have opted out of the "open register", not that you actually did have such details.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-10-14, 14:01

Quote:
That is not confidential. If I am searching for someone, I do not want the subject of my search to be public. The reason for searching for a name may be highly sensitive, for example, adoption. Equally, if my name appears in the list of names being searched, I would find that a breach of privacy.
No matter what site you are using, your search is tracked and stored and is not totally confidential ( in the way you assume). To evidence this briefly , if you perform a paid search on 192.com your search is logged and your details are provided to any person who registers to be informed of a search upon them ( adoptee etc) and they can then email you directly to challenge you upon why you have made such a search.

All the major sites track you as a paid user and if you believe your search is totally confidential then I have a very old car for sale that I would like a premium price for.
Old 17-10-14, 14:16

Quote:
No matter what site you are using, your search is tracked and stored and is not totally confidential ( in the way you assume). To evidence this briefly , if you perform a paid search on 192.com your search is logged and your details are provided to any person who registers to be informed of a search upon them ( adoptee etc) and they can then email you directly to challenge you upon why you have made such a search.

All the major sites track you as a paid user and if you believe your search is totally confidential then I have a very old car for sale that I would like a premium price for.
The central point is that your site publically displays the named subject of searches for anyone to see should they happen to be on your website.
Old 17-10-14, 14:17
maggie_4_7

I did a search for myself and it didn't list my house number it had NUMBER 1, [block of flats name], [the rest of the address] and proceeded to list everyone connected with that block as living there about 40 people all living at number 1.
Old 17-10-14, 14:23
maggie_4_7

Quote:

Quote:
The central point is that your site publically displays the named subject of searches for anyone to see should they happen to be on your website.
Indeed Shona I think the word confidential is being used in the wrong context.

Yes of course we are being tracked online and I am sure my IS provider could furnish details of my searches online if they were presented with a warrant, just like any other administrators' of other websites I visit and databases I use.

But my search history isn't listed on those sites for the whole www to see.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 17-10-14 at 15:00.
Old 18-10-14, 08:02
maggie_4_7

I can't get this site to work this morning.

"This web page is not available"
Old 18-10-14, 10:11
Administrator

Same here.

Old 18-10-14, 11:14

I think I must have searched wrong because all I got was a list of possible names from 192! (Apart from a list of people on the electoral roll by first name INITIAL, useless for my search).

OC
Old 18-10-14, 11:24
Administrator

Do you mean the site is loading o.k. for you, OC? I'm still getting "the page cannot be displayed".