Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 04-09-10, 08:51
Joy Dean

Default Sophia Loosley

Sophia Loosley

Date and place of birth
About 1807 Speen, Buckinghamshire

From Speen Baptist Church records:- Sophia was baptised when adult 8 October 1830, with John Loosley (a brother?).

Details of her marriage
12 February 1828 Princes Risborough to Jesse Green. Jesse Green bachelor of Speen and Sophia Loosley spinster of Speen were married by Banns at Princes Risborough. Both parties were single and the witnesses were Thomas Meekes and Thomas Ayres.

Address where lived (including county if in UK) - and census
1841 census age 30, Speen, Buckinghamshire, England.

Date, place and cause of death
2 April 1848 Speen, Princes Risborough. Cause of death: 'Died in child bed. Not certified.', her age was 41 years, wife of Jesse Green, labourer.
Old 14-09-17, 07:51
Administrator

I thought the most likely John Loosley on the census was the one b 1812 in Princes Risborough and was married to Mary Lane (at least, that was her maiden surname from the GRO indexes of their children's birth registrations.) One of their children was named Jesse Loosley (b and d in 1846), which made me think it is extremely likely this John was Sophia's brother. John Loosley had a brother living with him in 1841 and 1851 - William aged 35 in 1851 (so 1815/16) who was unmarried.

Annoyingly I can't see a marriage for John and Mary (she was 31 in 1851, so likely married after 1837. First child seems to be Oliver John b 1840 d 1841). I suppose it will turn out they married in the first half of 1837! I had hoped the record would tell us John's (and hopefully therefore Sophia's father's name.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-09-17, 08:23
Administrator

lol the Loosley to Lane marriage took place 06 Sep 1835 in Princes Risborough (FMP), so not very helpful!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-09-17, 08:33
Administrator

The year after Jesse Loosley (mmn Lane) was b and d there's this bap:

Jesse Loosely*
25 Jan 1847
Lacey Green, Buckingham, England
Thomas,
Jane

Is Thomas another sibling and when did he marry? No time for me to look.

Old 14-09-17, 11:58
Joy Dean

Thank you, Glen and Merry.

I had forgotten about another thread re Sophia Loosley - searches for embarrassed emoticon!
Old 14-09-17, 12:04
Administrator

Quote:
Is Thomas another sibling and when did he marry? No time for me to look.
Thomas looks very likely to be a sibling of John and William and so possibly a sibling of Sophia. Thomas is aged 33 in 1851 and b Princes Risborough. His wife, Jane nee Bowler, is 31. (Her mother Rebecca Hughes is with them in 1851 but Rebecca had remarried in 1830). Thomas and Jane had a son who died as a baby named Owen and a couple of years later John Loosley and Mary Lane named a son Owen too, so that's two relatively unusual forenames coming up in both families.

In 1851 Thomas and Jane's eldest child appears to be Susannah Loosley aged 11, but in 1841 Thomas is not with Jane Bowler and Jane is living with various Bowler/Hughes individuals and also her daughter, Susannah Bowler aged 5 months. So it looks like if Thomas and Jane married it should have been between 1841 and 1851.

EDIT Found it at last!:

Marriages Dec 1846***
Bowler Jane Wycombe 6 811
Looseley Thomas Wycombe 6 811

So, if you think Sophia, John and Thomas Loosley are siblings then this marriage cert would give you Sophia's father's name and occ.

Old 14-09-17, 18:48
Joy Dean

Thank you very much, Merry, and Glen.
Old 14-09-17, 21:32

So, if you think Sophia, John and Thomas Loosley are siblings then this marriage cert would give you Sophia's father's name and occ.

On his marriage to Jane BOWLER in 1846, Thomas was a widower & both he & his father George were labourers. Witnesses were William & Rebecca LOOSELEY.

A Benjamin LOOSELEY with father George also married that year. He was a widower & a witness was Rebecca LOOSELEY, probably the daughter from the first marriage.
Old 14-09-17, 21:50

I had a good look at the Speen Baptist register; there wasn't a lot of it. As you said Sophia GREEN & John LOOSELEY were baptised at Speen 8 Oct 1830 & were received the same day by Mr DOLIN of Amersham.

The only other mentions of either surname were John GREEN & several others being baptised at Amersham by Mr Jordan 25 Nov 1812 and formed themselves in to a church.

Brother GREEN choose (sic) to the office of Dacon (sic) 7 Jun 1816

John GREEN died Apr 1847.
Old 14-09-17, 22:09
Joy Dean

Thank you very much, Glen.

Tags
to2g25