Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 06-10-12, 08:16

Default Faith Barker FMFFFM

Name - Faith Barker
Date and place of birth - c1743 Possibly Laceby, Lincolnshire
Names of parents - N/K
Date and place of baptism - N/K
Details of each of his or her marriages - 23/2/1773 Laceby William Appleyard
Occupation(s) - N/K
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - N/K
Date, place and cause of death -N/K
Date and place of burial. - N/K
Details of will / administration of their estate - N/K
Memorial inscription - N/K

Children James 1776, Francis 1779, Frances 1781, Elizabeth 1785 and Rebecca 1788
Old 06-10-12, 09:16

I know Laceby, Lynn. And I've done some research on the Appleyard family in that neck of the woods. I'll see what I can dig up on this. Now, where did I put my notes?
Old 06-10-12, 09:25

I've also sent an email to someone I know who has extensive archives on Laceby to see if he can find anything out for you.
Old 06-10-12, 09:33

Ah yes, I knew bells were ringing. There is a book about William Appleyard of Laceby called 'A Lincolnshire Legacy - The Life of William Appleyard', written by Jim Appleyard. It covers Appleyard history in Laceby from about 1700. Not sure how you get hold of it, though. Suggest you Google it.
Old 06-10-12, 09:47

There's also a public tree on Ancestry for Faith Barker and William Appleyard. Have to go out now, so haven't managed to look at it in detail to see if the tree is sourced.
Old 06-10-12, 13:42

This is taken for the public member tree on Ancestry for Faith Barker. I think you should make contact with the member to double-check the sources.

Faith Barker, born Laceby 1743. Baptised in Laceby at the age of 1 in 1744.

Father: William Barker (b Laceby, 1715).
Mother: Frances Plumpton (b Laceby, 1719).

William Barker and Frances Plumpton married in Laceby on 13 January 1740.

Faith died in Laceby in Feb 1805.

William Appleyard was born in Laceby on 19 May 1734. His parents were William Appleyard and Rebecca ?????. He married Faith when he was aged 38 and died in Laceby in 1817 at the age of 83.

Children (which you have):

James - 1776-1856
Francis - 1779-?
Frances - 1781-1784
Elizabeth - 1785-1785
Rebecca - 1788-?
Old 06-10-12, 13:55

The following is from Erica Taylor's History of Stanford School, Laceby - 1730-1780, Anthony Bainton's tenure.

Laceby, a village in North East Lincolnshire, straddles the Caistor to Grimsby Road at its crossing point with the Barton Street. Those villagers who believe in ley lines, point to a line running from Caborne to Pyewipe on the Humber bank, crossed at Laceby by a line running from Ulceby through several settlements to Covenham St Mary and parallel with the coast. This would give the meaning of Laceby as ‘settlement at the crossing point’. This village nestles at the foot of the first rise to the Lincolnshire Wolds close to the Welbeck Springs and its Anglo-Saxon village site.

Something of the importance of Laceby can be seen in the Church Warden’s book. In an entry dated: Ano Dni 1612 Maii XXXI

“Constables William Greene
William Burton
Received Due to the towne by the said constables
XIIs Vd.”

Laceby was regarded as a ‘towne’. It is therefore, fitting to find that Whitgift, later an Archbishop of Canterbury, had been Rector of Laceby during Queen Elizabeth’s reign. Laceby was important enough to be a step on the way. Today, however, Laceby is regarded as a dormitory village for the Humber bank.

Part of the history of Laceby is a Charitable Trust, instituted by Sarah Stanford, to fund a school in 1720. The first recorded school master for the Stanford Charity School took his oath in Lincoln in 1730. The first entry in the Trust Accountant’s book is dated 1727 and in 1728 the account showed £32 19s 5d. The expenses could have been those connected with building a school house. In 1951, a reporter from the Grimsby Evening Telegraph interviewed the head teacher, Richard Rowson,. In the subsequent article Rowson is quoted as saying that the “Stanford Charity School was built in 1725” but the Accounts book recorded 1730 as the date when Anthony Bainton was Schoolmaster and Francis Plumpton was the dame.
Old 06-10-12, 13:58

Here is another reference to Francis Plumpton in the history of the school:

In the Accounts book there are two lists dated 1737 and 1738 in which children’s names have been written with their books next to their names. In 1736, John Anderson was noted because he had both a Bible and a Spelling Book. In 1737, however, 16 children were listed as having a Primer, Psalter or testament to use in lessons with the Dame.
Old 06-10-12, 14:03

Some more references from the school history. It looks as of Faith Appleyard followed in her mother's footsteps and also became a Dame at the school.

Sir Henry Nelthorpe was listed amongst the reorganised Trustees in 1801 because of his landholdings in Bradley. The population of Laceby was then 368. He immediately made his presence felt. In the years since 1780 the financial position had totally changed. Large amounts of money had been spent on the buildings and extra taxes
This was the year after the new room with its balcony was built, with a door for boarders entering from the house and a west door for day pupils. The Rev. Grey resigned in 1802. The Trust, under the new chairmanship of Nelthorpe, advertised on 16 July 1802 for a new Master, stipulating that they did not want a candidate in Holy Orders. This must have been a very unusual step to take. A Robert Forster of Lincoln was appointed. The decline of money was noted by Nelthorpe in 1803, when there was a deficit of 6s 6d on school accounts. Just one item, Window Tax, can be taken as an illustration: in 1790, the tax was £1 10s 11d, but in 1803 it was £4 15s 0d and there had been only one additional room in that time. His action was drastic. The tenant was dismissed, the land revalued and a new tenant was taken in 1804 at a new rent of £65 per annum but there was no indication of improvement in the teaching staff’s lot. Faith Appleyard, the Dame, was still being paid £4 per annum.
In 1812, the balance shown in the Accounts book was £267 1s 3d. Obviously, under this chairman, only the minimum amount of money was spent.

Interest in the Stanford Trust declined during this decade. The balance at hand for 1817 was £84 10s 0d though by 1818 this had risen to £151 19s 5d. Trustees who died were difficult to replace so William Brookes, a farmer in Laceby, began to take control. He appointed William Bruster as Master in 1821. Just prior to this, there had been a discussion about the salary paid to the Dame. Faith Appleyard was paid £4 per annum as was Mrs. Anderson after her - until she resigned over this issue in 1819. Mary Robinson agreed to take the post if the salary was raised to £6. The Trust minutes of the time read:

“It was particularly urged and stated to her that she was not elected Schoolmistress under the Trust but was merely hired as a servant for the year”.

Mrs. Anderson offered to return now that the salary had been raised so both women now worked at the school. Mrs. Anderson finally resigned the next year, so Mary Robinson stayed on as schoolmistress making a team with William Bruster until 1842. During that time her salary rose to £10 per annum in 1837, including coal as before. Bruster’s terms were much more generous: £30 per annum plus a house and garden free of rent, taxes or surcharges and coal. Also written in the Accounts:

“A close containing 8 acres in Lopham Lane subject to tithes, Taxes, charges and repairs, Bond to the Trustees of penalty of £200 for discharging the duties of schoolmaster and managing the land”.

This was all settled amicably in Laceby Square at various visits to the Waterloo Inn. The Dame’s salary had risen by one half since 1730 and the Master’s salary was two and a half times larger. This new start was made possible, in part, by the sizeable balance achieved by Sir Henry Nelthorpe. The decline in interest in the trust had been highlighted by the departure of John Carrit, a Trustee, in 1820 for a new life in Canada and the United States of America. No wonder Brookes had felt that a new teaching team was needed to infuse some vitality into the cause.
Old 06-10-12, 21:37

Wow! Shona that is amazing!!!! I have had some contact with Jim Appleyard a few years ago, but have only seen extracts of the book. I will have another look at all the info you have given me in the morning, when I can focus on it better, but thank you very much

Tags
to4g62