Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 16-07-23, 21:34

Default Using primary sources.

I have, for years, looked for my mother’s birth cert. She was born 25th March 1928, according to her and her parents.

After her parents died, she wanted a passport and found no birth cert. A cert was made for her on her info with a stat dec., and witnessed, etc
so….I have a copy of that cert, and if I apply for her birth cert, that is the one I’d be sold.

Her younger brother also had to do the same, however, one day he visited his old school and was invited to view the old roll books. Here he found both his and my mother’s names, with a different surname.

Mum had passed away by this time but uncle applied for a birth cert for himself in the name he found.

The entire cert is lies. His parents names, when and where they were married, etc. He presumes his date of birth is correct and his first and middle names are correct. His father’s name is wrong, as is his mother’s. Her place of birth is wrong. Date and place of marriage is wrong as they weren’t married at the time.

I then bought my grandparents’ marriage cert from 1955. Another pack of lies.
Sometimes even primary sources are not what they are cracked up to be…lol
Old 16-07-23, 23:47

Sib and future spouse lied about residence so they could marry where they wanted. So did my grandparents. Mum married on her birthday so her age is wrong.
Cousin registered our great aunt's death. He guessed the details he did not know.
And my place of birth is different to what I was told.
So that's five different certificates that contain errors or lies.
Old 16-07-23, 23:52

Amazing, isn’t it? I suppose they didn’t have to provide any ID then.
Old 17-07-23, 05:20

My mother lied about her address when she married, she gave her uncle Jack's post office across the road because the parish boundary ran in front of her house, though she left her packed suitcase there in case anybody checked (as if!) one of her grandmothers did the same in order to marry in a different church, no idea if she did the suitcase trick.
Old 17-07-23, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
My mother lied about her address when she married, she gave her uncle Jack's post office across the road because the parish boundary ran in front of her house, though she left her packed suitcase there in case anybody checked (as if!) one of her grandmothers did the same in order to marry in a different church, no idea if she did the suitcase trick.
I did similar. I wanted to marry at a certain church as had many of my family. Unfortunately the parish boundary ran across the middle of our road and we lived on the wrong side. I gave my grandfathers address. The vicar knew, in fact it was his idea. He was leaving so wasn’t too bothered. He mentioned the suitcase although I didn’t. One night a temporary vicar knocked on granddads door and asked to speak to me. Granddad said I was out. Vicar then asked if I really lived there. Granddad said, “ I may be old but I’m not bl***dy stupid. I know who lives in my house.’”
Luckily we had a retired Canon marry us so didn’t have to face the temporary vicar.
Old 17-07-23, 08:32

When I married I was living in London but I wanted to marry at my grandmother's parish church just outside Guildford (my parents and sister also married there). Also, my mother was living in Devon where I grew up and it was too far away for some guests. By this time my grandmother was dead, so the address I gave was that of a neighbour of my grandmother's in Guildford. My OH's address is that of the flat in which I was living in London as he had moved out of his flat a few months earlier!

When my brother died my sister-in-law had to provide lots of details. Many years later I mentioned that he was born in Guildford, as were my sister and I. She was very surprised as she assumed he had been born where my parents were living at the time. The information she provided at the time of his death was therefore wrong.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 17-07-23 at 11:36.
Old 17-07-23, 11:06

I value primary sources as being the FIRST time they told a lie, lol.

My ex and I lied about our addresses on the marriage cert, I forget why now!

I have three different copies of the marriage of James Holden and Ellen Grimshaw. A photcopy of the church register, a handwritten modern copy from the local RO and a handwritten copy from the GRO. You would hardly believe it was the same couple! Father's forenames transposed, (and invented) Smith Street turned into South Street, ages transposed.

As an old chap said to me once "every time man picks up a pen there is an opportunity for error" and I can certainly attest to that.

OC
Old 17-07-23, 11:18

Oh, the handwritten GRO copies from the 1970s.

Papermaker was an entirely plausible occupation, as there were paper mills in the locality - but it should have said Ropemaker.

However, Gasman in the 1840s for father of the middle-aged bride? It should have said Yeoman!

If I had money to burn, I'd order marriage certs for some Chulmleigh weddings, as the scribe transposed the fathers' names in several of the originals.
Old 17-07-23, 12:24
Administrator

I probably said this before, but a man on my tree was divorced from his wife and then went on to have three children with other women. In each case he named his ex-wife as the mother at the registration, totally disregarding the biological mother in each case. Until I came across this I tended to think it was only the father's details that needed questioning!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-07-23, 12:40

Yes, I remember a search where the mother's name did not accord with the woman the children were living with. Turned out he was a service man estranged from his wife and in a very long term relationship with someone else. He registered the children in the name of his estranged wife in order to get the army allowance for the children.

OC