Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 20-06-10, 19:27

Default Agatha Ariel

Are you there, Libby?

Well, I've found something that you might be a little bit interested in

While I was looking for your other wills, I thought it was time to have another look for Agatha, so I checked the Death Duty index from 1848 when she married in Paris, to 1852 when her first husband remarried. And this is what I found:

1851 Administrations

Intestate: Giacobbi Agatha

Administrator: Wm B Minet, New Broad St.

Can't read what it says after that, but it probably isn't too important, as it's in the volume and folio columns.

I've checked out Mr Minet, and according to TNA, William Brissault Minet was a Solicitor in New Broad Street, City of London. He died in 1856. A quick Google search shows that he came from a Huguenot family.

I originally put a message on your wills thread to ask Kite if she could look up Agatha's admon in the Probate Calendar, which gives the date and place of death, but of course it won't be there, as it's pre-1858.

Does anyone know if and where any further information might be obtainable? Maybe at Kew?

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-06-10 at 21:43.
Old 20-06-10, 19:34

I saw your comment Mary on the other thread to Libby and just KNEW it would be about Agatha.

Old 20-06-10, 19:38

I hoped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

I wonder if I can get a death cert???????

I wonder if she had more children??????

I wonder if she died intestate because she re-married?????

I just wonder?????

THANK YOU!!!!
Old 20-06-10, 19:42

I then started thinking about looking for her death. The Paris BMDs are now online, and I've found her marriage entry there, but no death. However, I don't think all the pre-1860 records have survived, and anyway she may not have died in Paris.

I also checked to see if François remarried, but haven't found anything.

I then had a look for children, and there are two who are possibly interesting, but unfortunately the parents' names aren't given:

Henri Alexandre Giacobbi
4/9/1848? (the date and middle name are hard to read)

Agathe Blanche Giacobbi
Date of birth entered twice on two separate pages: 19/2/1856 and 1/3/1856. No idea if this is two separate children or the same child.

There are some other Giacobbi events, but nothing else that looks particularly interesting. There is a marriage for an Alexandre Giacobbi, but not until 1853, so I assume he isn't Henri's father.

If Agatha died in 1851, Agathe Blanche obviously couldn't be her child, but I wondered if she might be François' child by a second marriage.

Anyway, now we have a much more definite time of death for Agatha, I'll see if I can get somebody on the French genealogy boards to do a look-up.

You'll find the births here, on pages 13-15:
http://canadp-archivesenligne.paris....e=V3E/N%201003

The marriage is here (page 219), but it gives less information than the entry on Ancestry:

http://canadp-archivesenligne.paris....ote=V3E/M%2016

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-06-10 at 21:46.
Old 20-06-10, 19:54

Thank you Mary.................I owe you big time now, so I'd better get down to the Beardy museum again.....lol

That birth for Agatha Giacobbi is interesting.......Agatha doesn't seem like a French name???

Agatha's eldest child was Agatha Ariel Clark b 1840. Agatha Kirkby (nee Sawrey) was the grandmother of the "now not missing" Agatha.

Remember that lady on FB???? I did send her a message (in English) but no reply. Might try again.

Last edited by HarrysMum; 20-06-10 at 20:03.
Old 20-06-10, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
Thank you Mary.................I owe you big time now, so I'd better get down to the Beardy museum again.....lol
No problem, I know you've got a lot on your plate at the moment, and the museum isn't going anywhere.

Quote:
That birth for Agatha Giacobbi is interesting.......Agatha doesn't seem like a French name???
Sorry, that's my typo, it says Agathe.

Quote:
Remember that lady on FB???? I did send her a message (in English) but no reply. Might try again.
Yes, I sent her a message in Italian at the time (last September), but she never answered (I've changed the name in my quote from your message as she's a living person).

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-06-10 at 20:06.
Old 20-06-10, 20:03

Thanks Mary........I forgot.

Changed now...
Old 20-06-10, 20:15

By the way, the register that I searched for Agatha's death is known as the "Reconstructed BMD Register" (16th century - 1859).

According to the site, the pre-1860 Paris BMD records were destroyed by fire in May 1871, and have been partly reconstructed. However, only about a third of the 8 million lost documents have been reconstructed, mainly covering the 19th century.
Old 20-06-10, 20:27
Administrator

Quote:
Does anyone know if and where any further information might be obtainable? Maybe at Kew?
Or the Guildhall Library?

The net has closed loads since I last read anything about Agatha!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-06-10, 21:01

Interesting that a married woman was declared intestate in 1851 - I thought a married woman couldn't make a Will anyway, without the permission of her husband.

OC