Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 28-03-12, 11:00

Default Frances WESTON

Birth.......not known

Married to Thomas Gurner a publican 24/8/1826 @ Stroud Gloucester.

Children: Thomas George Gurner baptised 30/12/1827 @ Stroud
Charlotte Skelton Gurner baptised 21/6/1829 @ Stroud

This is all I know about Frances - but some interesting middle names appear for children over the next two generations that made me wonder if they were previous surnames connected to Frances' line as I haven't found them elsewhere in the family history.

The names were SKELTON and also GODOLPHIN which was a middle name given to one of Charlotte's children.
Old 28-03-12, 12:22
Administrator

On the 1851 census, Thomas jr (if I've found the right person!) is down as "brother" to a Henry Graves (or Groves?), who is unmarried, age 22, born St Ives Huntingdon. Thomas also unmarried, age 24, born Stroud Glo'ster. Henry is a lever escarpment maker and Thomas a lever escarpment finisher. Living at 17 Percival Street, Clerkenwell, Middlesex. I wonder whether the "brother" bit is a mistake?
I found both Thomas jr and Charlotte on the 1841 census but neither with a parent so I wonder if they were orphans?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 28-03-12, 12:45
Administrator

There's a marriage on FamilySearch between a George Holford and Frances Gurner 2 Feb 1834 at Rodborough, Gloucestershire, and Rodborough is very close to Stroud so I wonder if it could be the same Frances? I haven't managed to find it anywhere that would say if she was a widow or spinster.

Also there is a will listed for George Holford, a victualler of Stroud, 1838.
http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

Old 28-03-12, 15:59

Quote:
On the 1851 census, Thomas jr (if I've found the right person!) is down as "brother" to a Henry Graves (or Groves?), who is unmarried, age 22, born St Ives Huntingdon. Thomas also unmarried, age 24, born Stroud Glo'ster. Henry is a lever escarpment maker and Thomas a lever escarpment finisher. Living at 17 Percival Street, Clerkenwell, Middlesex. I wonder whether the "brother" bit is a mistake?
It appears that Charlotte Skelton Gurner married a Henry Allpress Graves, watch-maker, on 27 Nov 1852, Hoxton, Middlesex.

Old 28-03-12, 16:25
Administrator

Oh right, so they may have already been engaged at the time of the 1851 census.

Old 28-03-12, 22:34

Thankyou very much for the marriage information for Frances Gurner to George Holford, I hadn't known that, and as he is in the 'victualling' trade also I would say that fits. I shall look for the death of Thomas Gurner now before that date.
If the Will is for that George Holdford then she wasn't married to him for long - only 4 years - so I will now turn in that direction to see what I can find for their marriage/ and his death.
That would also account for why young Thomas and Charlotte weren't with their parents in the 1841 census.

Sabrina, Charlotte did marry Henry (Harry) Graves so must have met him through her brother.
Harry also didn't live long and died in 1863 and Charlotte remarried, to a Thomas Holliday.

Thankyou both for the information, you have set me off along a different path now looking for Frances second marriage. Oh, and is it possible to get a copy of that Will KR? If so, where do I apply for it. Many thanks.
Old 29-03-12, 04:48

I have found the death of Thomas Gurner @ Rodborough Glouc. 4/3/1833 which ties in nicely with the marriage of Frances to George Holdford, same place in 1834.

I thought I might order the film for the second marriage, hoping that it will give me some more details re marital status and maybe witness names. (and if I'm lucky maybe the death of Thomas Gurner might be on the same film.)

So far the baptism of Frances eludes me, so I may have to wait for more records to become available before I find out her parents. But many thanks for this extra information.
Old 29-03-12, 07:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val in Oz View Post
Oh, and is it possible to get a copy of that Will KR? If so, where do I apply for it.
You should contact Gloucestershire Archives and ask them how to order it:
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives

Old 29-03-12, 08:43

Val, if you like I could have a look at the parish register for the marriage next time I go to Gloucestershire Archives. I could also look at the Will, and if it's not too long I will transcribe it for you.

Old 29-03-12, 09:32

Sabrina thank you very much for that generous offer. I have ordered the film with the marriage on it, to run through at our local Mormon Church, but I would be very grateful if you could have a look at the Will for me next time you go to the Archives. Hopefully the Will won't be too long, but I would be interested to see or hear just what it says.

Thank you both for your help.

Tags
to4g34