Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-11-10, 11:43

Oh, that has reminded me that we had a lady working in a local restaurant for many years. She didn't have Downs but was what we would call simple, I suppose. A cheerful hardworking woman who, according to my friend, "only just missed it" and we often thought that had her circumstances (whatever they were) been slightly different, she could have married and made someone a very good wife.

OC
Old 14-11-10, 15:00
Administrator

What a wonderful thread!

I must say Stella that I wrote to the NHS Trust that dealt with the asylum/hospital that my great grandmother died in in the 1930's. All I had to do was say what my relationship was to her, and then they would give the RO the go ahead for me to see her records, which they did.

However I will say that the 6 or 7 pages (huge A3 size) of her stay there made awful, harrowing reading, I was in tears during most of it, so much so that even now I find it very hard to re-read the copies I brought home with me. Some of the records did have photos of the patients as well, although I was watched very carefully whilst looking through & felt sure that the Records Office staff would have told me off if I'd strayed from the right pages!

So perhaps give the NHS Trust a ring to find the Department that would deal with the permission & have a word with them to explain your reasons, or maybe feel relieved that maybe it is better not to have too much knowledge.
Either way, a job well done to all of those that have participated!

Joanie
Old 14-11-10, 19:53
Stella

Thanks Joanie - think I'll leave things as they are now though. Yes, once again, well done to all of you who have helped me unravel the 'Richard Wright mystery'.
Old 08-09-11, 20:53

Wow.

I've just sat and read this whole thread after talking to Stella about Hester over the road.

I think Stella might be having another go at getting the records?
Old 08-09-11, 21:47
Stella

Wow Tom, fancy seeing you here! Folks, it's thanks to Tom's offer of help re Hester that has spurred me on to have another go. Thanks Tom.