Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-01-16, 11:53

Default Baptism for arthur george verrall 1854

Someone on ancestry has contacted me re my Sussex Verralls. They believe their Arthur George Verrall born cOct 1854 (and sometimes called George Arthur Verrall on census returns) is the son of one of my ancestors, George Verrall born 1829 West Dean, Brighton.

Well, that would be fine but my George (and Verralls are like rabbits in Sussex area) Verrall seems not to marry til 1860 and I have no children for him (one step son and then a girl called Maud appears born 1873 and I have my doubts she is his.......)

He does not appear with my George and Jane as his parents at all in any census returns.

Ive been looking for a baptism for this Arthur George Verrall 1854 Brighton but cant find one?

Anyone have any resources that may pick up his parents names please?

In 1861 he is a boarder with a George Russell, scripture reader and boot maker in Brighton after that he is in the London area as a servant and than an agent for Prudential - which is what he has on his marriage cert. On his marriage cert (On london marriages on ancestry) he gives dad as George Verrall, "gentleman". No Verralls sign as witnesses.

If anyone can help with this problem, be grateful.
Old 02-01-16, 12:23

There is a birth of a George Arthur Verrall registered in Brighton in the last quarter of 1854: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=7+9&ml_rpos=3
Old 02-01-16, 12:26
Administrator

He is George Arthur, rather than Arthur George, on his birth registration (assuming it is the right one). (edit - snap, Shona!)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-01-16, 13:28

Hi, yes thanks the chap has the birth registration but thats all. He doesnt have a cert so I thought a baptism record should show the parents. Didnt know if anyone had parish records for that area/date.

x

Oh, I will check freereg see if they have them
Old 02-01-16, 13:59

This is a longshot, but as Arthur George/George Arthur Verrall was boarding with a scripture reader in the 1861 census, I wondered if there could be a religious connection. In Google Books, I found a reference to a Rev George Verrall as an Auxilliary of the British and Foreign Temperance Society in Brighton. However, the Rev is in the 1851 Post Office Directory in Bromley, Kent. Ditto 1853 and 1862.
Old 02-01-16, 16:07

Yes, thts the one. I wondered if the kid was an orphan (the scripture reader is also a boot maker apparently they were sort of lay preachers who worked to support themselves)

Thats really kind of you looking up that in the temp society but I wonder why young george would not have called him a vicar or priest on his marriage cert? And why did young george end up as a bootmaker and then an agent for the Pru.

Hmm, you know its years since I actually had something I was interested in following up - lol - I only just subscribe to ancestry again when they offered me a year premium fo r£69 this week.

I used to have so much more patience and memory when I first started all this though

Thanks shona, I will make a note as Verrall is a very common name in Brighton, but who knows Many thanksxxx
Old 02-01-16, 17:21

Sussex Family history Group has a George Arthur Verrall bapt All Souls, Eastern Road, 6th Feb 1859, son of Emma Verrall of Eastern Road. He also appears under St Nicholas for the same date, though St Nicholas was the original parish church. All Souls was built in 1834 and demolished in the 1960s.
Old 02-01-16, 17:33
Administrator

There is an Emma Verrall marriage in Brighton 8 Sep 1863 to James Young Rollinson. FamilySearch has her age as 29 and her father as Henry Verrall.

This could be her in 1851:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/88...nSearchResults

and 1861:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...nSearchResults

in 1871 in Lambeth:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/76...nSearchResults

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-01-16, 21:21

Oh thanks Jill and Kite. It would make him 5 at baptism, but Ive had later baps. So we could have an illegitimate boy here and thats why he ends up as a lodger in the 1861 with the scripture reader?

Arent you great, will think on that.

Well, I cant find another George Arthur Verrall born in Brighton around that date So looks good. May be she came into contact with religion at that time and had the boy baptised and the scripture reader was involved somehow and agreed to take the boy?

Last edited by Heather P T; 02-01-16 at 21:52.