Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-12-15, 16:48

Question Anyone here from Cliftonville / Margate?

Admittedly this is a long shot, but I am trying to find out if anyone here knew or remembers the proprietors of the Prospect Hotel, 29 Zion Place, Cliftonville, Margate, Kent.

Apparently it was demolished in the 60s when the area was renovated. The (final?) owners were a Mr & Mrs. T. Swallow -- Thomas and Frances, I believe. Both are now long dead.

The reason I'm asking is that I have uncovered a letter written in 1958, asking if my grandmother would like to go and stay with them, but that it ought to be sooner rather than later because 'we will soon be fully booked', which suggests the author was one of the owners. It was written on a stylized Prospect Hotel letterhead and signed 'Auntie Frances'.

I am very curious to find out who this lady was, and how she was related to my grandmother, as I cannot fit her into my family tree. I believe her maiden name was Bailey, and that they had a son born in the 1940s who may still be alive. It may be that Frances was simply an old family friend, but if she was indeed an aunt then I am perplexed as to which side of the family she was on.

If anyone is from Margate and by any chance knew of the Swallows then I'd be interested to hear from you.

Thank you.
Old 02-01-16, 17:49

James, to establish a link (if there is one), it may help if we could have the name of your grandmother and where she was from, please.

‘Auntie Frances’ who wrote the letter may be an aunt through marriage or, as you say, no relation at all. I’m referred to as Auntie Shona by all the young people of Pakistani heritage in my neighbourhood. The wee ones are especially defiant that I am indeed their auntie if anyone challenges them!

There is a Margate Local and Family History page on Facebook. Perhaps you could post a query on there.

Has a look for info on the hotel/inn and the licences, as well as the Swallows. Here it is.

1929 – Charles Samuel Hawkins, Prospect Hotel, 29 Zion Place, Cliftonville (Kelly’s Directory)

1936 – Charles Samuel Hawkins, Prospect Hotel, 29 Zion Place, Cliftonville Kelly’s Directory)

The only Swallow in Cliftonville in this directory is FWH Swallow, Staff Officer, HM Inspector of Taxes, 67 Harold Place, Cliftonville. This looks likely to be Frederick William Hainsworth Swallow, born in 1888 in Yorkshire.

1937 – A Freakes at the Prospect Hotel. Nat Probate Cal has an Albert Bertram Freakes of the Prospect Hotel; widow Julia. He died on 3 Nov 1937.

1940 – Marriage of Thomas Swallow and Frances Bailey registered in Surrey NW.

1942 – Birth of a Swallow child with MMN Bailey, registered in Surrey NW. Can’t find any other children born to a Swallow with MMN Bailey.

1953 – Henry Treamer carrying on business at Prospect Hotel, Cliftonville.

1976 – Thomas Swallow death registered in Thanet, which includes Margate and Cliftonville. Est yr of birth 1911.

1999 – Frances Swallow death registered in Thanet. Est yr of birth 1912.

2002 Electoral Register – one Swallow on the register in Margate. First name is the same
as the 1942 birth.
Old 02-01-16, 20:52

Yeah, I found the Swallows' BMD records, thanks Shona. I've put an advert on Curious Fox, and I've e-mailed someone who used to know their son... although given the information I've since found, I am not sure he will reply.

I think the son is on Facebook. He lives in Cyprus AFAIK, so I can't phone him.

Thanks for your help, anyway. Just a case of waiting for a reply now, I think. I have tried to establish contact, anyway.
Old 02-01-16, 21:38
Administrator

Frances Swallow nee Bailey appears on the 1939 register with her mother, Frances M Bailey b abt 1884 (in Chertsey UD).

I think these are some relevant records:

Births Sep 1912
Bailey Frances Clark Southwark 1d 39

Marriages Mar 1910
Bailey Frank Willson Fulham 1a 494
CLARK Frances Mary Fulham 1a 494

1911 census for the parents here

Frank died in WW1. Here's his probate record

and his CWGC entry which shows his home address as 23, Chapel Grove, Addlestone, Surrey. I seem to remember you having other stuff for Addlestone, so thought I'd post this in case it became relevant.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-01-16, 21:47

Well remembered, Merry! Yes, that is very curious. Doubt it's a coincidence. Hmm.