Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-12-15, 21:45

Smile John junior

[QUOTE=Merry;311383]There's also this (Light infantry) but I don't know how we could know it's the same man?
It could be the same man but the service number differs. My Gt Grandfather Alfred wrote in his journal in 1880 that His brother John Private 2098 enlisted into the 51st Light Infantry about 1868/9 and volunteered to the 54th Light Infantry as they were going out to the East Indies 1871. He embarked on the Euphrates at Queenstown (is this in Ireland?) in 1871. The correspondence address he used was C Company 54th Regiment Meerut Bengal. I understand he came home from the 2nd Afghan war in 1881/2 but unaware that he re enlisted. Which could explain why I lost track of him until the 1911 census. That is the trouble with this family there are so many Johns to confuse us. Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

First name(s) John
Last name Litherland
Service number 1893
Rank Private
Unit or Regiment 51st (2nd York, West Riding, The King's Own Light Infantry) Regiment of Foot
Old 10-12-15, 22:37

Yes. Queenstown is in Ireland. From Wiki: 'Cobh, known from 1850 until the late 1920s as Queenstown, is a tourist seaport town on the south coast of County Cork, Ireland. Cobh is on the south side of Great Island in Cork Harbour.'
Old 10-12-15, 22:42

The 54th Regiment of Foot became the 2nd Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment in 1881.
Old 11-12-15, 15:53

Excellent, thank you for that Shona, I looked at some war records some time ago and remember discounting Regiments that were not in the Yorkshire Staffordshire areas. There have been several John Litherlands served in different wars, it's hard to tell which one to follow.