Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-02-15, 21:55
Administrator

The marriage was at Hertford, not Sandridge. Yes, Henry is OTP on the marriage but that just means he was living there at the time. His settlement examination was to determine his place of settlement, which was not acquired just by living somewhere for a short time. You could acquire settlement by serving an apprenticeship in a parish or paying a certain rent for a certain time, for instance.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-04-20, 09:52

Hello everyone

I'm so happy I stumbled across this post.

I'm a Pettiford and have researched back to my 4 x great grandfather, Henry Pettiford. Although as discussed here it seems he may have been a Henry Puddephatt and travelled from England as a convict.

I'm curious as to any evidence / records that support this. I'm aware that he was born around 1814 but couldn't find any marriage records between Henry and Mary Ann McVilley. Or any information on Henry's father, William. But the name change could explain a lot.

I'd love to hear any information you could give.

Kind regards
Danielle Scott (nee Pettiford)
Old 19-04-20, 10:59
Administrator

Welcome, Danielle.

I think Tenterfieldjulie would have to explain how she knows that Henry Pettiford was originally a Puddephatt.

According to Julie's original post, Henry applied for permission to marry Mary Ann McVilley in 1840, but permission was refused, and they later said they had married in 1838, so it could well be that they weren't legally married.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-04-20, 11:09
tenterfieldjulie

Hi Danielle,

I did this research for a friend, whose maiden name was Pettiford and she lives in Stanthorpe Qld. As you can see I did this some time ago.

If you look at Page 2 of this thread, I posted the name change appears to happen in Tasmania and the different documents with different names and how it appears they are the same person.

Cheers. Julie
Old 23-04-20, 06:52

Hi , Check out Wiki tree , as there are some people of the same name in Hertfordshire , they may help you with your research . It's worth a try ????