Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-02-15, 09:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
I think any birth after early 1836 can be discounted as he was convicted on 4 March 1835.. I don't think they had marital visits on the hulks, although he was there for a further 6months.

The birth of Henry Puddefoot baptised at Little Gaddesden, Herts to Joseph and Sarah is promising, as is the marriage of Henry Puddefoot to Mary Ann Franklin 1834 at Hertford. I don't think any of the children are his because of the date of his conviction?
I didn't think Eliza was necessarily his child, Julie, just thought that Mary might have put his name down as the father because he was her husband. Also if Eliza's mother isn't the same Mary as your Mary Ann, there could be another Henry and Mary couple who we have to be aware of. Also Eliza's date of birth on her baptism could be wrong.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-02-15, 10:25
Administrator

Hertford Mercury and Reformer 5 May 1835
Tuesday last the following convicts were removed from Hertford Gaol on board the Fortitude hulk, at Chatham, viz. ... Henry Puddephatt... transportation for seven years.

Old 19-02-15, 10:29
Administrator

Aha!

Hertford Mercury and Reformer 30 Dec 1834
Henry Puddephat was brought from the County Gaol, (where he is confined under a charge of burglary,) and examined as to his settlement, his wife having become chargeable to the parish in which she resides. Puddephat claims to belong to the parish of Marylebone, that being his father's parish, and he never having gained a settlement elsewhere.

Old 19-02-15, 10:50
tenterfieldjulie

Wow you little beauty .. oops .. sorry Kate .. I must be moire lady loik ..
Thank you now we know for sure where he is from oooooooooooh isn't that amazing .. don't know how you ever found that .. biiiiiiiiiiiigest grin .. thank you.
Old 19-02-15, 14:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Then there is a Henry Puddefoot born 24 Nov 1837 and baptised 20 Dec 1837 at St Mary, Marylebone, London, son of Mary, who we need to look into.
I have finally managed to find these people in the Marylebone workhouse records: 8 Mar 1839 Mary Puddiford age 30 and Henry Puddiford age 1. It says that Mary is a "singlewoman - has had three illegitimate children". So this is not your Mary Ann.

Old 19-02-15, 15:09
Administrator

Going back to that 1834 marriage, Henry Puddefort married Mary Ann Franklin 30 Jun 1834 at All Saints and Saint John, Hertford, Henry OTP, Mary Ann of Wheathampstead, both made their marks, witnesses William Nicholls and Sarah Franklin.

There is a public tree on ancestry showing this Mary Ann as being baptised 21 Jun 1812 at Sandridge, Hertfordshire, daughter of Isaac Franklin and Ann Nicholls, with a younger sister Sarah; seems to fit nicely with that marriage.

Old 19-02-15, 15:15

OH has ancestors from Sandridge and Wheathampstead (just 3 miles from us).

I don't think the registers are online, Julie, and I'll have to go over to Hertford to do further research. If you'd like me to do any look-ups while I'm there, just let me know.
Old 19-02-15, 15:44
Administrator

Just so nobody else goes down the same path, I followed up a Mary Ann Puddephat who married a Thomas Bean at Watford in 1841, but she is 65 on the 1861 census so I don't think she is the right person.

Old 19-02-15, 21:36
tenterfieldjulie

Without checking, I seem to remember that Sandridge was mentioned on Henry's convict record. Need to check.
Many thanks for all you are doing Kate, it js very hard to be really sure with a name that appears to be so easily changed and must be very hard to follow.
The reason I have a question mark over the marriage at Sandridge, is the record that you found Kate which said Henry had no affiliation with any other parish but Marylebone and yet that marriage record at Sandridge says OTP. Of course people lied and if he was prepared to break into someone's house to steal, I'm sure he wouldn't be too concerned about a lie.
Thanks for your offer Liza, when you check Richard's family, if you have time, it would be great if you could check what Kate has found.
Old 19-02-15, 21:39

I probably won't be going for a few weeks, Julie, but hopefully will make it some time before Easter.

Could you e-mail me with what you specifically need? I can look at other parishes too if required.