Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-02-15, 09:35
tenterfieldjulie

Default Puddephatt - Born Marylebone

Having now established that Henry Pettiford who died 1865 at Howlong in Victoria, Australia, was actually the convict Henry Puddephatt, who arrived Tasmania on the "Asia" 4 21/2/1836, I would like to find a little about Henry's life prior to transportation to Australia.
Henry was convicted of housebreaking at St Albans Herts Azzizes in 1835 and spent 6 months on the hulk Fortitude at Chatham .. He gave his age as 19 and 20 that year.
On the Tasmanian site - one of the records gives a physical description and says that he was a Plo'man from Marylebone. (not sure what a Plo-man is but I guess he was a ploughman .. When he settled at Howlong articles were written in the paper about the wonderful crops he was growing in almost virgin countryside.)
Another record is almost character appraisal - drunkenness, insolence.
It says that he had a wife Mary Ann and one child and it said Marylebone.
He put in an application to marry Mary Ann McVilley (it looks like McNilley but it is definitely McVilley) which the authorities didn't agree to.
The confusion is that it says Mary le bone .. I don't know if he had an earlier wife Mary Ann and that is why he wasn't given permission to marry
They put in a marriage application in 1940 .. but on their 11th and final child's birth certificate, it says that they married in 13/2/1838 in Van Diemen's Land. Her parents were buried in the RC section in Hobart, so it is possible that they were married by a RC priest and the marriage wasn't recognised.

First request please is would someone look at the Tasmanian record for Henry Puddephatt and see if they think he married 1st in Marylebone to a Mary Ann, or was it just where he came from.

Second request can someone find a record of him at Marylebone? On his death as Pettiford he said his father was William, no mother named.

Many thanks Julie

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 18-02-15 at 22:48.
Old 18-02-15, 10:51
Administrator

On the conduct record it says Married 1 child, wife Mary Ann at Marylebone London, so I would take that to mean either that he married her at Marylebone or that is where she was living when he was transported.

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/Im...5,271,227,F,60

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-02-15, 10:54
Administrator

This is the record that says Plo'man, Marylebone:
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/Im...4,222,140,F,60

It doesn't seem to say whether the place name is place of birth or where they were living before being transported.

Old 18-02-15, 11:02
tenterfieldjulie

That is what I thought it meant Kate thank you. I wanted a more experienced researcher to make sure I was reading it properly. It is just a coincidence again that the mother of his 11 children is also called Mary Ann. I wonder if that is why after he got his ticket of leave he suddenly became Pettiford. Although most convicts or their descendants tried to cover up their origins when they became respectable. I was just reading McVilleys report and the lashes that he received for misbehaviour made me shudder. Port Arthur is such a beautiful place but so much brutality .. oh dear.
Old 18-02-15, 11:06
tenterfieldjulie

Such a clear record. Do you think that Plo'man means ploughman?

Puddephatt was a very common name in Herts where he was convicted.

A William Puddephatt was tried on the same day at St Albans, but he wasn't convicted.
Quite a few Puddephatts had criminal records and then in the next generation a lot of them left wills.
Old 18-02-15, 11:11

I don't think Puddephat to Pettiford is a deliberate change of name, more to do with accents in a foreign land and an inability to spell or know how to spell, your own name.

OC
Old 18-02-15, 12:30
Administrator

FamilySearch has a Henry Puddefort marrying a Mary Ann Franklin 30 Jun 1834 at All Saints and Saint John, Hertford (Hertfordshire Names Online lists them as Henry Puddefoot, and Mart Ann Franklin of Wheathampstead, Henry is OTP on the image, both made their marks, witnesses William Nicholls and Sarah Franklin), and an Eliza Puddephat born 15 Mar 1836, baptised 2 Jul 1837 at Bovingdon, Herts, parents Henry and Mary. Then there is a Henry Puddefoot born 24 Nov 1837 and baptised 20 Dec 1837 at St Mary, Marylebone, London, son of Mary, who we need to look into.

There is a Henry Puddefoot baptised 8 Dec 1816 at Little Gaddesden, Herts, parents Joseph and Sarah, about the right date of birth for your Henry.

Old 18-02-15, 12:38
Administrator

The image for the 1837 baptism record has Mary's abode as Workhouse, and father's name unknown. Mary's occupation is Pauper.

Old 18-02-15, 13:01
Administrator

This may be unconnected, but I'm just posting the link so I don't lose them:
1851 census ancestry

Birds Eye Farm, Kimpton, Hertfordshire
Robt Tiler Head Widower 35 Farm Labourer Herts Kimpton
Mary Puddephatt Widow 39 Suffolk Framlingham
Emma Do 6 Scholar Midx Marylebone London
James Ellingham U 23 Farm Labourer Herts Kimpton
William Catlin U 16 Do Do Herts Kimpton.

I can't find a baptism for Emma.

Old 18-02-15, 13:26
Administrator

Never mind, I don't think that the Mary in post #9 is the right one, because in 1861 she has daughters Louisa 25 and Sarah 23 both born Herts Water End.