Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-02-14, 23:28
Administrator

Yes, Randolph could have been born in Nevis, not sure about Frances as I don't know whose daughter she was yet and which of the Jory brothers went to Nevis. But because of the non-conformism, it could well be that there are no baptism records to be found for them.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-02-14, 23:32
Administrator

I was wondering if Mary Jory was maybe Joseph's half-sister as Frances was the only one to inherit from Joseph, and he died intestate, so I wondered why none of Mary's children inherited (though Nathaniel Hodges' children did later inherit from Frances). But as you found the parents' marriage in 1632 that can't be it. But would it be that the child of a brother would inherit over the children of a sister? Or does it mean that Frances' father was older than Mary?
Wait - just remembered Frances was "coheir" so maybe Nathaniel Hodges was another heir.

Old 15-02-14, 23:40

This link shows Joseph Jory's wife's family

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...0nevis&f=false
Old 15-02-14, 23:47
Administrator

Thanks, Marquette. My family's link is with Joseph, though, not with the Russells. Think I will have to call it a night now and look some more tomorrow. Lots to add to my tree tomorrow!

Old 15-02-14, 23:55

Well, its a wet Sunday here, so I will look a bit more. I cannot see any children of Joseph's siblings (yet).

Somewhere I saw that John Jory was also in Nevis.
Old 16-02-14, 09:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquette View Post
Somewhere I saw that John Jory was also in Nevis.
In post #3 of this thread?

Old 16-02-14, 09:51
Administrator

There is a Nicholas Jory marriage to Mary Cooke 6 Dec 1666, at Charles Church, Plymouth, which is likely to be Nicholas jr. And there is a marriage 16 Nov 1687 at Charles Church, Devon, between Nicholas Jory and Mary Blagg. TNA's Catalogue lists the will of a Martha Blagge, spinster, whose sister was Mary, wife of Nicholas Jory. This could be a son of Nicholas jr?
Edit - there is a burial for Nicholas, son of Nicholas Jory, 23 Apr 1673 at St Andrew, Plymouth, so more likely Mary Blagg is the second wife of Nicholas, son of Nicholas and Jenefer.
Another edit - baptism for Nicholas, son of Nicholas, 19 Jan 1669 at St Andrew, Plymouth. Then I don't see any more baptisms for children of Nicholas, so maybe that is when they switched to non-conformism.

Old 16-02-14, 18:00
Administrator

Hmm, there is a Nicolas Jorye baptised 26 Aug 1603 at St Andrew, Plymouth, son of Sidrick Jorye. Think this could be my Nicholas senior.

Old 18-02-14, 23:25
Administrator

John Foche's will proved 1725 but written in 1713 mentions his cousin Nathaniel Measy of Cheapside, but having read through a lot of wills from this branch of the family at this kind of time now, Nathaniel Measy could be his relative or Frances's relative. Nathanael Meazy's will was proved in 1716 and it mentions his wife Mary Meazy and his father (i.e. father-in-law) George Jervis. Nathaniel Meazy married Mary Jarviss 24 Dec 1700 at St Nicholas Cole Abbey, so this Mary must surely be related to Deborah Jarviss who married Samuel Batt at the same church 1 Jul 1703 (see post #6, they were mentioned in Mary Helden's will, and Mary Helden was Frances's relative - or could be a relative of one of her husbands, I suppose. Not sure if this is going to get me any further but I need to note it down on here to keep all the info together!

Old 19-02-14, 11:02
Administrator

There is a Faculty Office Marriage Licence Allegation 23 Dec 1719 for John Helden and Mary Meazy, so Mary Helden is the same person as Mary Meazy and this means that George Jarviss also had a daughter Deborah (who married Samuel Batt in 1703). This should help to find the Jarvis family and work out how they are related to Frances - I think it is more likely they were related to her than to her first husband though of course not certain. I'm hoping this ultimately leads to which Jory was Frances's father, or at least may rule some of them out.