Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-01-14, 12:20
Administrator

Default Joseph Jory and his niece Frances

I found information on British History Online which says that Aldborough Hatch Farm in Essex was acquired by Joseph Jory, who left it on his death in 1725 to his niece Frances, wife of John Foche and later of Col Martin Bladen. I found on another site that he (Joseph Jory) died intestate, in which case there is no actual will to find.

There are PCC wills for John Foche (written 1713 and proved 12 Oct 1725), who left everything to his wife Frances, with Joseph Jory Esquire as one of the trustees; Martin Bladen (written 1726 and proved 1747); and Frances Bladen (written 1746 and proved 1747).

John Foche of London Esq was buried 21 Sep 1725 at St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney. I should think he is the same John Foche given the probate date. Martin Bladen married Frances Focke 3 Apr 1728 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster, according to FamilySearch, and the marriage licence allegation on ancestry dated 28 Feb 1727, which would be 28 Feb 1727/8, gives their names as Martin Bladen of the parish of St George Hannover Square in the County of Middx Esqr Widower and Frances Focke of the parish of Barking in the County of Essex Widow. Martin Bladen Esqr Colll of Auberry Hatch was buried 25 Feb 1745, also at St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, and Frances Bladen of Alborach in Essex widow was buried there 21 Aug 1747.

Relatives who Frances mentions in her will include: kinswoman Mrs Anne Middleton and her brother Mr George Hodges, who were children of Sir Nathaniel Hodges and his wife Mary Buttall (they married in 1702); daughter in law Mrs Tinker; nephew and niece Mr and Mrs Hawke; kinswoman Mrs Mary Foster; cousins Joseph and Mary Hooper; kinswoman Mrs Sarah Hooper; "the surviving grandchildren of my mother Hacket" (if only she had named them!); and kinswoman Mary Helden.

I would have thought that with all that information, I could find out who Frances' parents were, but I seem to be going round in circles! Can anyone figure it out, please? There is a public tree on ancestry showing her maiden name as Jory, but there is no info on where she was born, who her parents were etc.

(I am trying to find out how she was related to Sir Nathaniel Hodges and his wife, about whom there is lots in this thread:
Frances Dry)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-01-14, 12:24
Administrator

I have found in the Dictionary of National Biography that Martin Bladen's sister was the mother of Lord Hawke, so it looks as though "nephew and niece Mr and Mrs Hawke" would be on his side of the family rather than Frances'.

Old 23-01-14, 12:58
Administrator

And I've found this about Joseph Jory in an online book about the history of Antigua:

Frances Russell, aet. 15 and spinster
in 1681 ; mar. Joseph Jory of Nevis,
who was a Lieut. 1680, Captain 1683,
Colonel 1719; Agent at London 1702.
He died at Bethnal Green (? 1725).
His son Randolph matriculated from
St. John's College, Oxford, 3 Nov.
1699, at. 16. Adm'on at Oxford 26
Nov. 1702.

In the same book: 1673, March 18. Mr. John Jory, brother of Mr.
Joseph Jory of Nevis, merchant, enters his protest.
(Records at St. John's.)

Old 23-01-14, 13:12

Hmm. Jory and Hawke are both old established Cornish surnames, for what it's worth.

OC
Old 23-01-14, 13:54
Administrator

Thanks, OC. I don't think the Hawke family are on the side of the family that I'm looking at, though.

Just found this:

Monumental Inscriptions in St Kitts

White marble ledger on brick vault:#

Here lyeth Interr'd the Body of
JOHN HELDEN Son of JOHN HELDEN of
this Island Esqr who departed
this life the 7th of June 1722 Aged
2 Years 2 Months and 19 days

The father aged 31 in 1707-8, was Member of Council and Collector of the Customs, left this Island in 1730 and died at Egham, co Surrey 11 Feb 1738, where there is his vault. Mary, his wife, was heiress and Executrix of Mrs Frances Bladen who was niece and heiress of Col Joseph Jory of Nevis and widow of the Rt Hon Col Martin Bladen, MP, a commissioner of trade and plantations.

Old 23-01-14, 14:22
Administrator

John Helden and his widow Mary both left wills naming loads of people but nobody called Jory, Bladen, Foche, Hodges, or Buttall. But it turns out that Frances Bladen's "kinswoman Mrs Mary Foster" is the daughter of John and Mary Helden, and her husband was Thomas Foster Esq. Two public trees on ancestry have Mary sr's maiden name as "Unk", i.e. unknown.

Some of the people mentioned are Mary sr's sister Deborah Batt and her husband Samuel Batt, so I think they will be Samuel Batt and Deborah Jarviss who married 1 Jul 1703 at St Nicholas Cole Abbey, London. And there is another relative William Notcutt, who could be the one who married Martha Payne 15 Dec 1702 at the same church.

Deborah Batt's will was proved 1774 and mentions the Notcutts, Mary Foster, and some other people, but nothing to help.

This still doesn't seem to be getting me any nearer to Frances's parentage!

Old 23-01-14, 15:21

There's quite a lot on the internet about these people, but I can't find anything so far about Frances Foche/Bladen's parentage. Martin Bladen was also and MP and his biog details mention that Frances was the niece and coh (?) of Joseph Jory.

The Mrs Tinker referred to in her will is Martin Bladen's daughter, Isabella, from his first marriage.

It seems that it was Frances who had the wealth.
Old 23-01-14, 15:23

Martin Bladen

STOCKBRIDGE 1715 - 1734

MALDON 1734 - 1741

PORTSMOUTH 1741 - 14 Feb. 1746

Family and Education

b. ?1680, 3rd s. of Nathaniel Bladen of Bolton Percy, Yorks. by Isabella, da. of Sir William Fairfax of Steeton, Yorks. educ. Westminster 1795-7; St. John’s Camb. 17 Apr. 1697, aged 16; I. Temple 1697. m. (1) Mary, da. of Col. Gibbs, 2da.; (2) 29 Mar. 1728, Frances, niece and coh. of Col. Joseph Jory, of Aldborough Hatch, Essex, West India merchant, wid. of John Fouch.

Offices Held

M.P. [I] 1715-27; P.C. [I] 1715.

Ensign, Col. T. Fairfax’s regt. of Ft. 1697; capt. Sir Charles Hotham’s regt. 1705; col. of regt. raised in Spain 1709, sold out 26 June 1710; comptroller of the mint 17 Dec. 1714-28; sec. to lords justices of Ireland 1715-17; ld. of Trade July 1717-d.; director, R. African Co. 1717-26; commr. to court of France 1719-20; commr. for settling commerce at Antwerp June 1732-Feb. 1742.1

Biography

Bladen began his career in the army, serving under Marlborough in Flanders and Galway in Spain. Selling out in 1710, he stood unsuccessfully for Saltash in 1713 and again in 1715, when he was returned for Stockbridge. After a spell as secretary to the lords justices of Ireland, he was appointed to the board of Trade where he remained for the rest of his life, discharging his duties with such unusual efficiency that he was known as Trade and his colleagues as the Board.

Bladen was one of the three speakers who ‘bore the heat of the day for the Court’ in the debate on the Address on 22 Nov. 1718.2 In 1719 he and Daniel Pulteney went as joint commissioners to the court of France ‘to settle such matters relating to the respective limits of the plantations of the two Crowns in America’ as were left undecided at the Peace of Utrecht.3 A frequent government speaker, usually on trade matters, he was responsible for laying papers relating to his department before the House. In 1725 he was among the African Company directors who divested themselves of their stock to avoid appearing as ‘interested persons or speaking with a design to promote their own private fortunes’ in matters relating to the Company.4 On 18 Feb. 1730 he spoke in favour of the petition for a subsidy towards the maintenance of the African Company’s forts and settlements.5 On 11 Mar. 1729 a merchant giving evidence as to his losses from Spanish depredations told the House that

on reading in his papers that the merchants were desired to lay an account of their losses by the Spaniards before the Board of Trade in order to have it transmitted to the congress at Soissons, he did attend the Board to lay his losses before them, that there were but three commissioners there and that they told him the paragraph was inserted without their knowledge and that they could not help him. Upon which Colonel Bladen stood up in a good deal of anger and said it was false. Sandys and others excepted to this as if it was giving the merchants the lie and intimidating them from giving their evidence, and insinuated as if he should be sent to the Tower or the Bar, but his friends endeavoured to excuse it as well as they could, however it did not avail so far but he was forced to beg pardon of the committee.6

He spoke in the debate on the Hessians, 4 Feb. 1730, observing

that the peace of Seville was lately represented of no advantage to us, since the Emperor was so very terrible, that he could alone withstand all the allies together and defeat our schemes, but now the Hessian troops are proposed, he is represented so insignificant that we need not take any measure to resist him.7

Bladen, whose wife had inherited a large sugar plantation on the island of Nevis in the West Indies,8 was one of the leaders of the West Indians in Parliament. As such he was a prime supporter of the Molasses Act of 1733, designed to compel North Americans to buy more sugar, rum and molasses from the English sugar colonies.9 Introducing the clauses of the bill imposing duties on foreign importations of these commodities into the North American colonies he said that

the duties proposed would not prove an absolute prohibition, but he owned that he meant them as something that should come very near it, for in the way the northern colonies are, they raise the French islands at the expense of ours, and raise themselves also too high, even to an independency ... By discouraging the colonies from making rum of French molasses we shall turn them to sowing corn, making malt, and extracting spirits from thence, which is a manufacture we shall not envy them.10

On the outbreak of war with Spain in 1739, Bladen was ‘among the first and oftenest consulted by the ministers and their committees, in the preparation of their plans for war’.11 In common with other sugar planters, he was opposed to colonial expansion in the tropics, deprecating a conquest of Porto Rico, on the ground that ‘we have more land already than we can people, more sugar and tobacco than we can dispose of to advantage’.12 He spoke against the motion for the removal of Walpole on 13 Feb. 1741.

After Walpole’s fall, there were rumours that Bladen was to be impeached for his share in the Spanish convention.13 However, he continued in office, speaking in support of the Hanoverian troops on 10 Dec. 1742. In January 1744 he was one of the West Indians in the House who combined with the Opposition to defeat Pelham’s proposal for an additional duty on sugar, making an ‘elaborate speech’ against it.14 His last recorded speech was made in the debate of 10 Apr. 1745 on the question of court martialling Admirals Mathews and Lestock, he himself espousing the cause of Mathews.

He died 14 Feb. 1746.
Old 23-01-14, 16:27
Administrator

Yes, I read that earlier, Shona, thanks. Everything says that Frances was the niece and heir of Joseph Jory, but nothing says who her parents were!

Old 23-01-14, 18:23

Find My Past have her as Fran Jory when she married John Foche in 1702. Vicar General's Marriage Licences. No image.