Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-07-13, 08:20

Hi Julie,

I have just come across your posts on James Hirst and the Hirst family. I am a great great granddaughter of Samuel Luther Hirst.

I have done a lot of research into the Samuel Luther branch of the Hirst family and but have only dabbled into the Yorkshire and Lancashire history of the Hirsts.

One day I plan to put the information together into a book of some sorts but that is a long way away at this stage.

It looks like you have found a lot of the information I have but if there is anything else I can help you with please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Chris Austin
Old 02-07-13, 09:54
tenterfieldjulie

Chris,
I am so delighted to hear from you and will reply in depth when I go back to Sydney at the weekend.

Sadly, my brother in law who we did the research for, has brain tumours and he is now in the terminal stage. I am not sure whether he will comprehend that a descendant of Samuel Luther has been in contact by the time I get there.

It did give him a lot of pleasure to find out about the family in UK and about the family in New Zealand. At one stage D. owned an apple orchard there and he had a number of business associates there.

When a number of two of nephews and a niece visited, (who are closer in age to him than his brothers, as he was the youngest son) they were all very interested in what we had found and he was delighted to regale them with some of our discoveries. He did keep trying to turn Recabite into Jacobite and I said Nooo !!

I have three nephews as well and they are also interested in their Hirst family history. One of them owned a vineyard and so was very interested to hear about the vineyard in NZ.

Thanks for making contact and I look forward to hearing more about the family from you.

Julie
Old 25-01-15, 20:13

Hi Julie,

My name is James Hirst. I am doing the family tree for the Hirst. I am the Grandson of Neville Hirst from Maclean and Great Grandson of Arthur Havelock.

I have being following these threads for a while now and helped me get back to John and Mary Hirst Mother and father of Samuel Hirst in Padiham, Lancashire. Right now I am stuck on John Hirst and was wondering if you would have any further information?

Thank you for the help you have given me in these threads it has been an interesting discovery. If you need help with anything on this side of the hirst Tree I am more then happy to help.

Thanks,

James
Old 27-01-15, 10:33
tenterfieldjulie

Hi James, Susie is my sister and we did the research for Doug before he died. I haven't looked at the Hirsts for quite some time, but I will revisit and see whether I got back any further. Cheers. Julie
Old 27-01-15, 10:48
tenterfieldjulie

I don't think I posted this before

Mr. Henry Hirst - Obituary

Mr. Henry Hirst, Old Colonist, has been associated with road board matters in his district for more than twenty years. It was in great part owing to his exertions that the Mount Roskill bridge was widened and repaired at a cost of nearly £1000. At his own expense he took a trip to Wellington and placed the whole matter before the Hon. Mr. Cadman, with satisfactory results. All the improvements of the Mount Eden district, gas supply and drainage, were carried out during Mr. Hirst's term on the road board, of which he was chairman for many years. He was born in Lancashire, England, in 1825, is a son of the late Mr. S. Hirst, and is for the greater part a self-taught man. Mr. Hirst was employed at the cotton mills in Padiham and Burnley up to the time of his coming to New Zealand by the ship “William Watson,” from which he landed at Auckland in February, 1859. Mr. Hirst followed the trade of a carpenter for a time, and also successfully carried on the business of a dairyman for a few years. At the time of the disturbances with the Maoris, Mr. Hirst served in the Militia for a year or two. During the years of depression he removed to the Thames, and was there employed in carpentering, whilst his two sons were engaged in battery work. Mr. Hirst afterwards returned to Auckland, and purchased a house and property at Mount Roskill, where he now lives in retirement. Mr. Hirst is a prominent working member of the Wesleyan Church, and his parents were both similarly engaged for very many years. As a life long total abstainer, Mr. Hirst has done a great deal to benefit the cause of temperance. He was one of the original members in Manchester of the Whole Total Abstinence Society when Sir Wilfred Lawson was its treasurer. Mr. Hirst was for a time chairman of the Auckland Licensing Committee, on which he represented Karangahape ward, and he also was a member of the old Mount Eden licensing committee, and of the school committee, for many years. He belongs to the order of Rechabites, and has been associated with the Wesleyan Sunday school. Mr. Hirst's only daughter is married to the Rev. John Nixon, and he has two sons; one of whom is farming at Te Aroha, and the other is head engineer at the Mount Morgan mine, Queensland. Both the sons are, like their father, staunch teetotallers.