Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-10-12, 17:22

Default Robert Holden

Hi i'm Melinda Parker i'n searched my family tree and am stuck at Robert Holden born 1907 died 1978 married to Mary Worrall in 1927or28 in salford england ,his children are name removed Holden , name removed holden and name removed holden from all the info i have i am totally stuck i would love to find which line i belong to on the Holden side of historymy great granfather Robert was in ww2 injured by a torpedo was hospitalized for 20 yrs and released in 1958 your help is most appreciated .

Last edited by kiterunner; 13-10-12 at 18:28. Reason: names removed in case they are still living
Old 13-10-12, 17:29
Administrator

Hi Melinda and welcome to the forum.

I have moved your post into a new thread of its own as it isn't clear whether your Holden family are connected with the Holdens mentioned in the other thread.

Also I have deleted the names of Robert and Mary's children in case they are still living. Our forum policy is not to post up details of living people unless they have given their consent.

I will see if I can find some details of Robert and Mary's marriage so you can order the certificate, as that should give you details of who Robert's father was...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-10-12, 17:33
Administrator

Okay, the Robert Holden / Mary Worrall marriage is listed on Lancashire BMD as 1928, Salford Christ Church, and on the GRO index as Jul-Sep 1928.

You can order a copy of the marriage certificate either from Lancashire:
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/index.php

or from the GRO:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
If you order from the GRO, the GRO Reference is Jul-Sep 1928, district Salford, volume 8d, page 886.

You say that Robert died in 1978. Do you know where he died, please? I can't see a likely death on the GRO index, or did he die in another country?

Old 13-10-12, 22:30

Default holden

ok ty vm , i wasn't sure of what i was doing just trying to get in contact with Olde crone Holden seems to the one with the most knowledge i have found, i hope i find my right line .
Old 13-10-12, 22:36
Administrator

Welcome to GF, Melinda

As Kiterunner says, you will need to buy a copy of Robert's marriage certificate to discover the name and occupation of his father. Hopefully, then you would be able to find him on the 1911 census which should tell you where he was born.

Do you have any further information about his death?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-10-12, 22:38

Melinda

I'm sorry but I don't have any knowledge of this Robert Holden and I can only echo the advice Kiterunner has given you to get the marriage certificate. There are so many thousands of Holdens in Lancashire that it would be very easy to go wrong without certificates.

Good luck - do come back when you have the cert and we can move on to the next step.

OC
Old 15-12-12, 17:14

Default holden

thanks so much for your help as far as i know he was hurt in 1938 but torpedo and spent 20 yrs in the VA hospital is Salford England and was released in 1958 and Died in salford from family hear say .
Old 15-12-12, 17:35
Administrator

The closest death to those dates that I can see is a Robert Holden whose death was registered Jul-Sep 1979 Salford, date of birth 22 Oct 1905. But I still say your best course of action would be to get a copy of the Robert Holden / Mary Worrall marriage certificate, because that should give you enough information to be confident of tracing the right family back.

If he was torpedoed in WW2 then it can't have been in 1938 as the war didn't start until 1939. But in any case, WW2 army records are not publicly available in the UK but the next of kin can order the records of a deceased serviceman or woman from the Ministry of Defence. This can take a long time though. And it would most likely be more difficult for you to get access to his hospital records though perhaps not impossible. Certainly the marriage certificate will be the easiest to get.