Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-05-12, 13:57

Aha! Thank you, everyone. Lots of very interesting leads. Now, where to start? I'll be back!

Janet (Niagara)
Old 07-05-12, 14:52
Administrator

The signature for George Spence when he married Elizabeth Wilson in 1872 looks a lot like the witness signature for a George Spence at the marriage of 28-year-old Elizabeth Spence to John Boynton in 1871 (her father is recorded as William Spence, labourer).

compare......

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=22135357

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=44288603

Of course it may not be the same person, but a possibility?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-05-12, 15:00
Administrator

Oh yes, they do look very similar!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-05-12, 15:00
Administrator

Mrs Boynton was 38 b York in 1881.

I can see her as a servant in 1871 and 1861 (b 1842/3 York), but I can't see her in 1851!! She isn't the daughter of the family Kate posted earlier as I saw her separately in 1861 (and they are not the same age, despite the same birthplace)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-05-12, 15:18
Administrator

Hmmmm.... two to choose from:

1843 Q4 SPENCE Elizabeth Bootham York BOO/5/35
1844 Q1 SPENCE Elizabeth Bootham York BOO/5/51

No luck with a baptism at the moment.

Old 07-05-12, 16:01
Administrator

Hmmm......there is this Elizabeth who would appear to be illegitimate:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=10890432

But there were two births, so she might be the 'other' Elizabeth.

Old 07-05-12, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Mrs Boynton was 38 b York in 1881.

I can see her as a servant in 1871 and 1861 (b 1842/3 York), but I can't see her in 1851!! She isn't the daughter of the family Kate posted earlier as I saw her separately in 1861 (and they are not the same age, despite the same birthplace)
Sorry, struggling to keep up with you speed readers! So we have two possible candidates for George's sister. We're pretty sure it's his sister because his signature looks almost identical on his and her respective marriage certs. But we don't know which Elizabeth Spence from Bootham is the right one.

I see that Bootham is a neighborhood of York. By Google's reckoning, Bootham Street is about a 15-minute walk from Queen Street where there is a George Spence age 12 in 1851 with the family of William Spence. Or could Queen Street actually be included in what is considered Bootham?

The William Spence on Queen Street in the 1851 says he is born Linton-on-Ouse; and Helen Spence, the mother of a possibly illegitimate Elizabeth in the link Merry just gave us, is also born Linton-on-Ouse (mistranscribed by Ancestry as Linton-on-Crise or some such).

I'm afraid I'm not following you, Merry, about her not being the daughter of the family Kate posted. You mean the one in post #7? Oh, I think I'm getting it. You see two Elizabeth Spences in 1861; one is still with that same family and the other one is elsewhere?

Janet (Niagara)
Old 07-05-12, 16:36
Administrator

Quote:
The William Spence on Queen Street in the 1851 says he is born Linton-on-Ouse; and Helen Spence, the mother of a possibly illegitimate Elizabeth in the link Merry just gave us, is also born Linton-on-Ouse (mistranscribed by Ancestry as Linton-on-Crise or some such).
Yes, I just this second realised that and was about to post, but you beat me to it!! lol

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm not following you, Merry, about her not being the daughter of the family Kate posted. You mean the one in post #7? Oh, I think I'm getting it. You see two Elizabeth Spences in 1861; one is still with that same family and the other one is elsewhere?
That's exactly right!! One is here in 1851 and still with the same parents in 1861

William Spence Head Mar 47 Labourer Yorks Linton on Ouse
Elizabeth Do Wife Mar 48 Do Warthill
Jesse Do Son U 19 Labourer York
William Do Son U 14 Scholar York
Elizabeth Do Daur 13 Scholar York

and the other is a servant somewhere, b 1843/4 which is the right age for the 1871 bride. (sorry, didn't take notes, but she was easy to find!)

Could Ellen/Helen (b 1816) be the sister of the William above and George be the son of the William above? Then Elizabeth uses the name Wm for her father when she marries because she doesn't want to appear illegitimate?

I can force them to fit!!

Old 07-05-12, 16:48
Administrator

Ah,....

LINTON ON OUSE, in the parish of Newton upon Ouse, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1 mile WNW. of Newton upon Ouse, 7 miles S. of Easingwold. Here is a Roman Catholic chapel, and a school with a small endowment. Population, 268

Old 07-05-12, 16:53
Administrator

Name: William Spence
Baptism/Christening Date: 06 Apr 1805
Baptism/Christening Place: NEWTON UPON OUSE,YORK,ENGLAND
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: William Spence
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Margaret

Can't find Ellen though.