Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-02-12, 19:04

Yes, Mary I noticed that as well.

There was something somewhere that mentions a family of Eyres visiting both Benburb and Eyrecourt.

It's not something I'm that concerned about really.

In that book with the family tree, there was another brother early on. It could even be him who is connected with Ireland as well. I'll check that. I wasn't really interested in him then. I wanted to connect my Liz to that family.
Old 08-02-12, 19:28

[QUOTE=Mary from Italy;176056]I can't find a likely birth for Edward Eyre; famsearch has early Penistone records, but there's nothing for him there.

I did find this baptism, but they don't give their source, although as there's an exact date, it sounds promising:

http://www.eyrehistory.net/yorks/d0000/g0000057.html

Strange, I must have done something wrong when I searched yesterday, because I found that baptism easily today on familysearch:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ar%3A1704-1704

So it looks as though Edward's father was Joseph.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-02-12 at 19:33.
Old 08-02-12, 19:29

There are numerous hits for Eyre baptisms, marriages and burials in Bradfield on familysearch, so I won't go any further, because I'm sure Libby would rather have the fun of doing it for herelf

It may not be easy to go further back, though, because I see there's more than one Joseph who could be Edward's father.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-02-12 at 19:32.
Old 08-02-12, 19:43

That Eyre History site I linked to upthread is quite hard to navigate; it's difficult to get it to give you anything resembling a pedigree, but it doesn't seem to have a likely father for Edward. Still, it may be worth getting in touch with the site owner, because he's doing an Eyre one-name study and he's a GOONS member.

However, although I haven't explored it yet, this site looks as though it could be a real goldmine:

http://www.bradfieldarchives.co.uk/index.html

It doesn't seem to have parish registers online though, which is a shame.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-02-12 at 19:46.
Old 07-03-13, 00:47

Hi all,
Don't know if this will help, but you never know. In 1913 my great-aunt, Janet Isabel Ariell, journeyed abroad, including to England. Her travel-logue incudes this entry.

"Saturday July 5th. Went be tram to Bayswater to unch with Miss Ariell from the Isle of Wight [Jim's aunt]. She says her 3 brothers al went to Austraia, and the Bristol Ariells went too so she heard, the only one remaining being mother & daughter. Mother died & daughter married in Italy. Lilly Ariell, who is Mrs Ferguson of Persia, was an ony child & was brought up by her auntie, and is the only Sydney girl, & 3 brothers and mother live in Balmain, Sydney. The Miss Clara Ariell has been out to Sydney & met 4 times. Mrs Ferguson has 3 children, a boy in Edinburgh, girl in Switzerland & little one in Persia."

Last edited by mxwlamont; 07-03-13 at 00:48. Reason: error in transcription
Old 07-03-13, 01:09
tenterfieldjulie

Ooh I have goosebumps .. Libby where are you???
Old 07-03-13, 02:59

I'm here Jules.......instaed of doing your wills...lol

Hello mxwlamont. That is all very interesting.

There are Ariells (with the double L) in Australia also. Of course ours with ours the spelling was odd in some early PRs.

Some of ours did go to USA and Canada in the 1800s.

Can I ask what years you are talking about?
Old 07-03-13, 05:16
tenterfieldjulie

Lib the journal is written in 1913 ... Think my wills are on the back burner for entertainment when it comes to competing with Ariels .. siggh sigh ... lol