Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-08-09, 10:58

I have Kate. Mary Carpenter's father left a will which mentions her as Mary Dudley (she got £10!), and two of her daughters (Elizabeth and Ann) were apprenticed as silk weavers, but nothing concrete beyond that.

The Carpenters and Jephcotts appear to have been two of the more affluent families in the village at the time. The Dudleys seem to have been less influential, although a 1930s housing development did have a Dudley Street which may have hearkened back to them.
Old 29-08-09, 12:07
Administrator

Mark, I remember in 1851 THomas was grandfather to the head. Was he therefore the last person in the household listed? Have you checked the head of the next household wasn't born in Spain, by looking for him/her on the next census? I have a family where the head's place of birth has been missed and all the following places of birth are one space up the sheet from where they should be! Bit of a long shot for you, I must admit!

OC inadvertently reminded my of this when she said (in 'Spare a thought for' on this board) her Mary Jepson was recorded as a tailor, but it was crossed through (because the person listed after Mary was the one with this occ!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010