Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-01-14, 11:29
tenterfieldjulie

Default You Keep Finding Surprises

Recently I found that my ancestor Joseph Bryant’s two sisters' (Hannah Welch and Emily Perfect) children met and married in England during WWI, they then returned to Australia. This was a fact that earlier researchers had not found/revealed. This however was not as much of as a surprise as what I found about one of the daughters of Cyril and Lilian:

1. 16 May 1942 – Marriage - Holy Trinity Church, North terrace, Adelaide, SA Lilian Winifred Taylor, eldest daughter of Inspector and Mrs. C. R. Welch, of Finsbury, with Albert John Deacon Daly, only son of the late Col. and Mrs. Deacon Daly, of Plymouth, England.

2. 23 June 1943 Remand On Bigamy Charge.
A Commonwealth peace officer, Albert John Deacon Daly, 48, of Carlton crescent, Finsbury, was charged in the Adelaide Police Court today with bigamy and making a false declaration.

It was alleged that Daly married Lilian Winifred Taylor Welch during the life of his wife, Mary Edith Babb, and that he made a false declaration in a marriage certificate by stating that he was a bachelor.

Daly married his wife under the name of Babb - there was some question as to the validity of the marriage. It might be found that the former husband of Daly's wife was not dead at the time of the marriage.

3. 26 July 1943 His 'Wife' Was A Bigamist, So Case Dropped - his first "wife" had committed bigamy by marrying him 11 years ago. When Daly married his wife under the name of Babb in Melbourne in 1933, her husband, Richard Williams, was still alive. Williams died in 1939.

4. I have not been able to find any further documents on Lilian Winifred Taylor Welch.

An ancestry tree I found had that she died 2/1/2008 at Victor Harbour in South Australia.

In an obit for her grandmother, Hannah Welch, she was referred to as Winnie, but I’m not sure if she was Welch or Daly?

5. What I am wondering if Mr. Daly was also a fabricator of his origins? He says his name is Albert John Deacon Daly born 1895. Describing himself in 1942, as only son of the late Col. and Mrs. Deacon Daly, of Plymouth, England. I’ve tried looking but I can’t specifically find him .. lots of Albert Daly’s to chose from. I’m wondering if anyone can find the Colonel Deacon Daly. Thanks. Julie
Old 03-01-14, 11:52
tenterfieldjulie

6. I found a GR query that says his name was Albert Edward Babb (parents Samuel Babb and Annie Deacon) who departed London 19/7/1924 and married 1933 Mary Edith Williams (nee Mogford). This man is the enquirer’s grandfather and she said her nan said he always said his parents were Samuel and Annie Daly. Whew folks I think this has done my head in.
Oh Winnie was on Ryerson as Deacon-Daly!!
Old 03-01-14, 12:17
Administrator

Julie, is there a Finsbury in Australia, or is it the Finsbury in London, England, that they are referring to, please?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-01-14, 14:29

This may be the family in 1911 - living at 7 Adelaide Terrace, East Stonehouse, Plymouth.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...nSearchResults

Samuel Badd, head, 48, general labourer, b Altarnum, Cornwall
Annie Babb, wife, b St Neot, Cornwall
Winifred Babb, dau, tailoress app, b Altarnum, Cornwall
Mabel Babb, dau, ditto, b Plymouth, Devon
Albert E Babb, son, scholar, b East Stonehouse, Devon
Percy Babb, son, scholar, b East Stonehouse, Devon
Old 03-01-14, 14:32

This may explain they Deacon part of his name.

Samuel Babb married Annie Deacon, Q2 1892, registered in Launceston, Cornwall.
Old 03-01-14, 15:09

In 1891, Samuel Babb, 27, b Launceston, is a private on board HMS Shannon, anchored in Devonport. He says he is a widower.

There is a marriage of Samuel Babb to Elizabeth Sarah Hardy on 18 December 1887 in Stonehouse. the banns were read on 20 Nov, 27 Nov and 4 Dec at St Matthew, Stonehouse. He was serving on HMS Indus and Elizabeth was of the parish.

Not a colonel, but at least he in in the forces.
Old 03-01-14, 20:28
tenterfieldjulie

Hi Kate, the Finsbury is in South Australia.
Thanks Shona I will read back and try to absorb!!
Old 03-01-14, 20:50
tenterfieldjulie

The common link with the family are the armed forces both in UK and Australia.