Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-07-20, 18:58
Administrator

We really need to try and find the William who appears in 1881 on the 1871 census. If he is the same man who was with Mary in 1861 then we need to try and establish what he means when he says he is a widower in 1881. If he was never married to Mary and they had gone their separate ways before her death (I don't know when she died at the moment) then that would be unusual to say he was a widower if she then died. Did he marry someone else at some point perhaps, or dd the householder just assume he was a widower because he didn't have a wife in tow?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-07-20, 06:44

will try and see what i can find thanks
Old 17-07-20, 06:55
Administrator

This is very likely to be the death of the Mary Barrett kiterunner found:

Deaths Dec 1879 (>99%)
Barrett Mary 63 Haslingden 8e 81

and therefore probably the death of the so-called Mrs Walker from 1861.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-07-20, 07:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I don't think three of the four marriages for a William Walker between 1851 and 1861 in Wigan Registra tion District are for your William (various reasons - wrong father, wrong age (by a lot) etc). There is one in 1858 that is a Register Office or Registrar Attended wedding and there's no images to view. The bride was called Mary McCanna. I don't see any reason for her to be an alternative name for Mary Barrett and I don't think she was previously married (no second index entry on LancsBMD)..

There are no marriages for Mary Bar*t in the same district between 1854 and 1861.
Of course, for completeness we should be checking out marriages in Blackburn district and Haslingden district as we know this William we are checking out had lived in those districts as well as Wigan. There are rather a lot of marriages if it's a 30 year span to check (I only did the first ten years for Wigan district), so another reason to find him in 1871 as it could help shorten that task!

Old 17-07-20, 07:47

hi ,think that is mary and her death in Haslingdon it isn't too far away from accrington . where she was living with a William It's only approx five miles away . so that's a plus we know she was in that area .
Old 17-07-20, 07:57
Administrator

Her death may not have been in Haslingden itself. That's Haslington Registration District, not just Haslingden

Accrington is in Haslingden district. Remember reg districts can cover a lot of places. If you need to know which places are in a district it's probably easiest to use FreeBMD as they have full lists of the coverage with dates.

Like this (Haslingden district coverage)

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/haslingden.html

Old 17-07-20, 08:28

Yes i know what your saying, I know all of the areas around there some of them come under hydeburn . and rossendale . I've looked through the B.M.D marriages . and can't find one that fits mary .the only one which seems like a mary with an irish name is the mary mccanna . in Wigan 1858 . As we know her husband was dead . at that time .
Old 17-07-20, 09:54
Administrator

We think he may have married someone else, not Mary Barret/Lee. So, we are looking for a marriage between the correct William Walker and any spouse between 1851 and 1881. If we could find him in 1871 we might be able to shorten the timeframe.

Old 17-07-20, 15:17

the name is very common ,and there are lots of marriages i found in lancashire there were a few in Haslinden , but because it's on family,it gives three names ones a male spouses, william married either margeret blears or alice broadley haslingden 1862 ,it doesn't mention ages . william age 50 in the 1867married ann tootell in farnworth that's the right age william married either a margeret jones or Elizabeth Rudd in Wigan 1853 ,dont know their ages . william 1863 haslinden either ellen sanger or elizabeth howarth william 1868 wigan eitherann makinson or hannah Young .
Old 17-07-20, 15:21

there are pages and pages .of William walkers and family search isn't the best there's an odd one with photos but a lot is guess , who he married . I've tried to put age of birth etc , but sometimes it doesn't pick up on that .