Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 01-01-14, 10:18
Administrator

Default GRO BMD Indexes 1837-1920 - FamilySearch

It is titled 1800-1920 but actually starts at 1837. It seems to be taken from Findmypast's copy of the index, but there is no link through to the images on FMP. The search uses FamilySearch's rules, for instance their own set of surname variants, so it may possibly come up with results that don't come up when searching on other sites. The placename field works much differently to the searches on FreeBMD, Findmypast and ancestry as it uses FamilySearch's database of place names to work out which registration district is most likely for you. This will usually be good but sometimes it may mean the result you are looking for doesn't come up.

I'm not sure whether FamilySearch have re-transcribed it or are just using FMP's transcription; anyone know? I haven't seen anything about it in the newsletters they send out to transcribers so am guessing the latter.

GRO Birth Index
GRO Marriage Index
GRO Death Index

Edit - as far as I can see, there is no way to search the birth index on mother's maiden name although the index goes up to 1920. It will display the mother's maiden name if available when you view the results. But even if you go onto the normal search screen (i.e. search all databases) and look for a birth between 1911 and 1920 with mother's maiden name included, it does not seem to use that in the search of this database.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 03-01-14 at 09:27. Reason: add marriage and death indexes
Old 02-01-14, 15:04
Administrator

Oh dear, I am finding matches from the birth index cluttering up my searches for baptisms now! You can only select type = "Birth, Baptism and Christenings" when restricting your search by type, so how can you get it to leave out the GRO index entries?

Old 03-01-14, 09:28
Administrator

The marriage and death indexes have now been added, so I have updated my original post and the thread title. You can search the marriage index (post-1911) for spouse's surname, so I'm not sure why you can't search the birth index for mother's maiden name.

Old 03-01-14, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Oh dear, I am finding matches from the birth index cluttering up my searches for baptisms now! You can only select type = "Birth, Baptism and Christenings" when restricting your search by type, so how can you get it to leave out the GRO index entries?

That's going to be a real pain.