Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 30-03-19, 13:49

Yes, it's their decision, Marg. Not everyone is infected with the genealogy bug like we are!
Old 30-03-19, 15:04
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
I still don't understand why people haven't uploaded a tree, it baffles me.

I have sent a few messages, I think about 10 and have only had 2 replies and then asked another question of both and no reply since.

On two I can actually fill in some blanks for them and explained a bit of the information and still no reply.

I had contact already with a few of my matches so we converse regularly on new finds anyway.
A lot of my "unknowns" do have trees; I just don't know how we are related! Well, at least I do know which are on my Dad's side and which are on my Mum's side. But I have a lot of shared match groups, especially on Mum's side, where I have figured out the shared ancestors of the others in the group but have no idea how they connect to me.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-03-19, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Someone mentioned that a lot of people have done DNA testing to discover their ethnicity and stop there. Hence the lack of trees.

I can't understand either why these people wouldn't want to take it further.

One of my first cousins (who I don't actually know due to an acrimonious divorce!), his son and a couple of granddaughters all seem to have had DNA tests for Christmas a couple of years ago with absolutely no interest in their family history. However I am eternally grateful to them as it means I can identify my paternal matches so much more easily.
Old 30-03-19, 16:40

Sib doesn't want their DNA to be recognisable - I know quite a few people who do not want that information in the public domain. Out of respect to sib, my tree looks rather strange. I have only put in names four or five generations back, and that where the surnames are interesting.
Old 01-04-19, 02:34

On ancestry people can't see your DNA, just if you are a match which should make Sib feel better. Some sites you can inspect the segment and things but to me you might as well just hand it over.