Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-01-17, 10:05

Default Hollingworth and variants of Mottram-in-Longendale

I'm trying to marshall my thoughts about this extensive family. They are well documented but as there are so many of them and names used many times it is easy to confuse them.

OH's 7x-great-grandparents are Higham Hollingworth and his wife Sarah Moult.
Higham was baptised on 22nd July 1675 at Mottram-in-Longendale. His father was Randle.

Higham Hollingworth left a will, probated in 1749 at Chester.

Randle Hollingworth doesn't appear to have left a will. I'm wondering if he also goes under the name of Randulph.

Randle's brother and Higham's uncle was Alexander Hollinworth. His will of 1692, probated in 1696, is giving me the most clues.

Alexander's wife was Anne. They obviously had no children. He makes bequests to Randle's sons, Higham and Alexander. Higham is mentioned the most.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 01-01-17 at 11:15.
Old 01-01-17, 10:14

Randle and Alexander's father could well be John Hollingworth who was buried 2 February 1685/86.

From his will:
"Item I give unto my eldest Son Mr. Alexander
Hollingworth the sume of twelve pence. Item I give unto
my Son Mr Randulph Hollingworth ... "

Alexander's father, hopefully this John, had two families:
Alexander mentions "John Hollingworth & Ellen Hollingworth my half brother & sister".

John mentions his five children "still with me" in his will. His wife was Elizabeth.

Confusion arises as the names Alexander and John are popular in this family.
There is another John "of Tintwistle" living at the same time and having children baptised at the same time.
Old 01-01-17, 10:23
Administrator

I think Randle could well be a variant of Randulph.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-01-17, 10:30

Thanks, Kate, that's reassuring. It is hard to find much about him.
Old 01-01-17, 10:47

Default John Hollinworth of Tintwistle

Thanks to the following I have started to sort out this family and separate the children from those of OH's line:

Reference: E 134/3Geo1/Mich25
Description: Jonathan Ridge the younger and his wife Marah. v. Alice Hudson, widow, Samuel Reddish, Richd. Hurt, clerk, and his wife Deborah, Robt. Grantham (an infant), John Wagstaff the younger, John Ingham and his wife Mary, Hannah Wheatley, widow. Alice Nicholson, widow.: Last will and testament and the value and disposition of the real and personal estate of John Hollingworth, of Tintwisle (Hereford), gent., said estate including messuages, &c., in Tintwisle, Hollingworth, Mottram-in-Longdendale, and Godley (Chester), Sunderland, in the parish of Ashton-under-Line (Lancaster), Pogmore, Marblack, Bearnsley, and Shepley (York), &c., &c. [The names and possessions of Robt. Hollingworth (testator's son), Grace Hollingworth (testator's daughter, mother of plaintiff Marah,) Higham Hollingworth, Alice Hollingworth (testator's daughter, who married Ralph Nicholson, gent.), are mentioned.]: Chester; Lancaster.
Date: 3 Geo 1
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

This John Hollinworth married Alice Hyde or Hide by Licence on 8th May 1674.
She came from Denton.

John's will (29 July 1689) mentions his son Robert and daughters Alice, Grace, Anne and Deborah. There was also a daughter Elizabeth.

Elizabeth married John Wagstaffe. One document makes it look like 1680 but it seems rather early. It seems John came from Glossop, Derbyshire. Edit: in fact, she married at Glossop in 1678.

Alice bapt. 13 Feb 1674 at Mottram. She married Ralph Nicholson of Stockport on 4 Apr 1694. I have found 7 children for them

Grace had an illegitimate daughter, Mary or Marah, bapt. 8 Jun 1696 at Mottram. She married Jonathan Ridge.

Anne bapt. 24 Apr 1677 at Mottram. I haven't discovered if she died or married yet.

Deborah bapt. 30 Oct 1679 at Mottram. She married Richard Hurt, clerk.

After John Hollinworth died, his widow Alice married Thomas Hudson on 2 Feb 1698/99. Thomas was from Macclesfield. She was widowed and at the end of her life she was living at Stockport (where her daughter Alice Nicolson lived). I am transcribing her will of 1715. She mentions just two of her children, Alice Nicolson and Deborah Hurt. She also mentions a cousin Samuel Reddish.

Alice's family is interesting. Her brother was Robert Hyde of Denton and her nephew Robert Hyde of Hyde Bank, Cheshire.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 01-01-17 at 16:54. Reason: new information
Old 01-01-17, 10:55

The thing about John Hollinworth of Tintwistle that intrigues me the most is what is the connection to Higham Hollinworth, who is mentioned in the document held at the National Archives? Is he a cousin of some sort? He isn't directly of this family.
Old 01-01-17, 11:06

The marriage between Elizabeth Hollinworth and John Wagstaffe took place at Glossop in 1678, so she must have been born a lot earlier than some of her siblings:

22 Jul Johannes WAGSTAFFE of Glossop & Elizabetha HOLLINGWORTH of Tinsell (also on BT)
Old 01-01-17, 13:55

Cheshire RO hold some documents that might be useful:

Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference DDX 87
Title Hollingworth in Mottram in Longdendale, deeds and papers
Date 1638-1761
Description Relate to Hollingworth family of Hollingworth manor. Comprise detailed description of the demesne of Hollingworth with particulars of the descent of the manor, nd (1666-1672); declaration concerning right of way along the highway to Hollingworth Moor, 1638; memorandum of customary dues of Ralph Boyer, John Booth, Robert Boyer and George Moorhouse, tenants, 1718; agreement that Robert Line of Wooley Mill in Mottram in Longdendale, miller, may build a weir over the brook at Carr Wood in Hollingworth, 1761.
Extent 4 documents
URL http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...17-ddx87&cid=0

Level Item
Reference ZCR 63/1/34/7
Title Pedigree of the Hollingworth family of Hollingworth

Level Item
Reference ZCR 63/1/120/1
Title Pedigrees, notes, extracts relating to the Hollingworth family of Hollingworth
Old 02-01-17, 10:05

Alexander Hollinworth, the brother of Randle Hollinworth, lived at Nearer Hollingworth Hall. This may be helpful in tracing his line, but I'm not sure!
Old 27-09-17, 10:46

Default Hollingworth family from the Old Hall in Mottram

Hi Elizabeth, I am a member of the Hollingworth family of Mottram and have the entire history for the families you are speaking of. As you have deduced, John Hollinworth of the Old Manor House at Tintwistle manor and of Shepely, is a descendant of the Hollinworths from the Old Hall in Mottram.

Our family is highly complicated and it is very easy to confuse the various members from the different ancient scions. For the time period you are looking at, we have branches living at Glossop, Matley, Mottram, Roe Cross, Padfield and of course Hollingworth. Most of these families attended St Michael and All Angels Church at Mottram, just to add further to the confusion!

We are all descendants of Robert of Holynworth c.1180 the first known lord of Hollingworth manor, when it was subinfeuded by the Earl of Chester during the border skirmishes with the Peverils of Derbyshire. We have three branches of the family still living today, who can trace their particular branch back to Robert.

The branch you are looking at descends from a junior house of this family through what is called the 'Old Mottram line'. They typically spell the surname without the 'g' i.e.. Holynworth - Hollinworth. The parent branch comes from Hollingworth Hall, which is my line. Our spelling comes from Hollyngworthe - Hollingworth. These are very subtle differences practiced by the two families both living at Mottram in Longdendale. Outside of Cheshire, the spelling can be anything from Hollingworth, Hollingworth or Hollingsworth.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know.