Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 11-03-19, 12:57

So I changed mine and my parents names from . . to actual names and a day later the Thru lines has appeared .... off to explore.
Old 12-03-19, 05:40

Did you use their real names or fake names?
Old 12-03-19, 13:08

Our real names Toni.
Old 13-03-19, 09:29
Administrator

I have 3 trees on Ancestry but only have thrulines for OH's. Which is annoying.

Old 11-04-19, 14:00
Administrator

There is now an option on your ancestry tree (if linked to a DNA test) "DNA discoveries" which you can turn on to add ThruLines icons to those of your ancestors who have ThruLines related to them. But as far as I can see, you have to be viewing your tree in pedigree view to see the icons, unless anyone knows another way?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-04-19, 02:35

Thanks for this Kate. As far as I can see you are right, we need to be in pedigree view. I tried selecting a person but there was nothing to suggest she had thrulines once I was in her records.

Note that while I had a person with the ThruLines symbol I got the message :ThruLines suggests that X may not be related to any DNA matches through E. So it is not a guarantee you have a match.
Old 13-05-19, 17:25
Administrator

My tree (pedigree view) now seems to be showing little ThruLines icons next to all my direct ancestors, and when I click on one it says "ThruLines suggests you may be related to one or more DNA matches through (ancestor's name)". I was getting excited about this since they were showing for ancestors who I haven't managed to confirm by DNA matches yet, but when I click on those, I just get "ThruLines™ for [ancestor's name] BETA ThruLines uses Ancestry trees to suggest that you may be related to [ancestor's name]"

and it shows me that section of my own tree, showing my descent from, say, my 2xg-grandfather. What's the use of that?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-05-19, 18:19

None at all.
Old 14-05-19, 00:53

None. I'm not sure if that facility is working yet ie from your tree but I also get that as well going into thrulines the original way.
Old 02-06-19, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Someone has got my Quaker 5x-great-grandmother, born to Quaker parents, born in Whittlebury, Northants in 1754 (correct), then baptised in Chelmsford in 1736 and again in Derby in 1754. Her mother supposedly died in 1757 in Wellington, Salop, and she was baptised again in 1770 in Cheshire!!

I feel a headache coming on.
It sounds like Ancestry is relying on people's personal tree research - as opposed to professional researchers' results - if so, they are often going to contain errors. And if so, that's not very professional of Ancestry - they should clearly state the nature of these trees, where they came from & so forth. Also, the various research sites do not always come up with identical results on searches, so if Ancestry is just taking privately uploaded trees and presenting them as fact - there are going to be inconsistencies galore, it seems to me?

Do hope Ancestry is not doing this, and that I am wrong. Otherwise we may be looking at a virtual mountain of misinformation being generated, which is not going to help anyone at all, casual or professional researchers alike, I fear.