Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 29-03-19, 11:22

Default Two DNA tests attached to one tree?

My sister has agreed to do an Ancestry DNA test. I will manage her matches etc. Does she have to set up an Ancestry account and have her own tree or can she just piggy back on mine but obviously using her name as the lead person?

Apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find a thread that did....
Old 29-03-19, 11:40

She has to have a separate email address and account to distinguish her from you, but then you can manage her account and link her in to your tree.
Old 29-03-19, 13:00

Thank you Phoenix. I knew someone would know!
Old 01-04-19, 10:05

For anyone else who asks this:

At the bottom of the main DNA page is a grey bar with the caption Useful Links on the right. The first line underneath this says "Activate a test".

If you click on this you get a page headed "Activate your DNA kit" and beneath that it invites you to Continue as .... or you sign in under a different name.

If you click on Continue as ... you go to the next page where you are asked who is providing the DNA sample. You are shown "A child" or beneath that "Help activate a DNA kit for another adult".

After clicking you see this (the important part):

Protecting personal data is important to us.
We require that a DNA kit be activated by the person providing the DNA sample, or their parent or legal guardian if they are under the age of 18.

Once the person providing the DNA sample activates their kit, they can give you full access to view and manage their test results through your Ancestry account.

Enter their email to help them get started.
Enter email address

Send Activation Invitation (you click on this after providing the email address)

Alternately, the person may sign in to their Ancestry account or create a new account for free.