Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 26-03-13, 10:19
tenterfieldjulie

Snippets from earlier research - I found a baptism for John Jaffrey on 14 July 1760 at Sprouston, Roxburghshire, parents George Jaffrey & Jean Scot. This ties in his age of 80 in the 1841 Census.
Kate found on FamilySearch a marriage for John Jeffrey 4 Jun 1783 at Makerston, Roxburgh, but it doesn't say who he married.
Makerstoun is across the river from Kersmains. Makerstoun, Longnewton and East Nisbet are a rough circle around Kersmains.
also I purchased a will for John Jaffrey, proven in 1851, after his eldest son, James, returned from Buenos Aires in Argentina, South America, it said that John Jaffrey farmer of Kersmains had died 23 October 1822 where he had been residing at St Anns Yard Abbey in Edinburgh. It said he had been sold up but that he owned a one share in the Kelso Bridge which after 30 years amounted to enough to make it worth applying for. I don't have the document with me here to check, but now I think maybe it was an admon rather than a will. I will have to look further into next week.

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 26-03-13 at 10:35.
Old 23-10-15, 11:11
tenterfieldjulie

This is the brick wall on the line of my 6ggp thread for this week

When Daphne and I were staying up near Hadrian's Wall last year, she very kindly drove us up to Hawick in Scotland to the Heritage Centre there.

I had rung ahead and they were very helpful.

I found more material on the Jaffrey's which included a claim on an estate with a solicitor trying to prove next of kin and he was going through all the baptism records of the Jaffrey's he could find .. He was having a lot of trouble then too .. so I am not alone!!

Hmmh now I have to find the copies of the records that I acquired then .. help .. I don't think it is really going to help me with Elizabeth but it might help in time ..