Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 30-08-23, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
I thought they were using the images they produced during the DOVE project? As that was abandoned because of insurmountable problems then there won't be any additions. Or have I got that wrong?

OC
I can't remember when DOVE was on everyone's lips, but probably nearer twenty than ten years ago? Technology will have changed so much since then that any interface between old and new stuff might be difficult to stitch together.
Old 30-08-23, 10:23

Yes, 15 or more years ago, definitely, I still remember how gutted I was when the project was abandoned.

AFAIR, the problem was that the old registers could not be opened flat and the hand held scanners couldn't cope with the resultant curve of the page, which might account for the poor quality of some of the images.

The GRO is not allowed to make a profit as it is a vital service, so any project money must come from elsewhere. I think the DOVE initiative might have been funded by the EU but I don't know.

OC
Old 30-08-23, 10:34

Just checked. According to wiki, DOVE was superseded by DI, which in turn was abandoned in 2010 because of government spending cuts. "There are no plans to continue with the digitisation" .

OC