Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 24-09-17, 07:39
Administrator

Charity Smith who I mentioned in post #38 died unmarried in 1760. I had hoped her will might reveal the names of any of her siblings children (Bernard's children?) but the only relative mentioned is her brother Standfast.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-09-17, 13:18
Joy Dean

Thank you for all your research, you have put in a lot of work
Old 24-09-17, 13:41
Administrator

Going backwards is pretty easy, but not coming forward! I don't think we are any further forward on whether the man who married twice in Bristol is the same man who was with Caroline Sadd. I think I would place a small bet that he was, but not my life savings!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-09-17, 13:57
Joy Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Going backwards is pretty easy, but not coming forward! I don't think we are any further forward on whether the man who married twice in Bristol is the same man who was with Caroline Sadd. I think I would place a small bet that he was, but not my life savings!
I agree

I have been wondering if the Caroline that married Joseph in 1833 maybe became ill or / and went in an asylum or she just disappeared, and that could explain why he (if the same Joseph) did not marry my Caroline Sadd. However, if the same Joseph, he had quite a change in occupation.
Old 24-09-17, 13:59
Administrator

It makes sense that there's probably a reason Joseph and Caroline appear never to have married, and Caroline Barry still being alive would seem quite possible.

Old 24-09-17, 14:30
Joy Dean

Yes.
Joseph Abraham Sadd Smith, born 1839, may, or may not have been Joseph and my Caroline's first child, so I am looking for any possible other children born to them between 1833 and 1839. And then what shall I do? - Maybe carry on knocking my head against a wall
Old 24-09-17, 15:25
Administrator

I suppose you could get copies of the two Bristol marriage entries from Bristol Archives to see the witnesses' names.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-09-17, 15:40
Administrator

Good idea, Kate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Dean View Post
Yes.
Joseph Abraham Sadd Smith, born 1839, may, or may not have been Joseph and my Caroline's first child, so I am looking for any possible other children born to them between 1833 and 1839. And then what shall I do? - Maybe carry on knocking my head against a wall

I knew there was something I'd forgotten about! Do you know what happened to JASS? I noticed he wasn't with his parents in 1841 and doesn't seem to have died before that date, in Lambeth at least.

As for other children, if they didn't have their children baptised (or at least not in churches that are online) then I don't know how you would trace them?

Old 24-09-17, 15:45
Administrator

Oooh, here he is! And his father is a defence witness

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...=t18570406-539

So, where was he in 1841?

I still can't see him in 1841, but sadly he may have died in prison.

SMITH, JOSEPH ABRAHAM aged 18
GRO Reference: 1857 D Quarter in WESTMINSTER Volume 01A Page 197

Old 24-09-17, 15:59
Administrator

JSS's mother must have been alive in 1857 as JSS said at that trial, "my wife and my mother were in the house". If only her name wasn't Mary Ann Smith! lol