Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-03-17, 13:59

Default What do you think this surname is?

Sorry to inflict this rather long and involved request on you but I would be so grateful for any opinions on the surname of the young man who is the very last entry at the bottom of this page from the 1900 United States census.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive...04114602_00826

It appears to be TOOD but.....bear in mind that the surname of the family he is living with is LENHART, but it has been indexed by Ancestry as TENHOUDT (they are my great grandparents with their children, including my grandfather Harry). For once I don't blame Ancestry for getting it wrong. The enumerator has some of the hardest to read writing I have come across on a census. This is important to me for the following reason.

You will notice that WILLIAM TOOD is listed as the brother in law of my great grandfather Henry. As Henry had only two sisters, born in 1850 and 1852 respectively, William born 1882 can't be either of their husbands. That leaves him as a brother of my great grandmother who was SARAH JANE MARQUIS before she married. However, I have never been able to find her or her mother on the 1870 census or her mother on the 1880. Her father died in the Civil War and I suspect her mother (also Sarah) married again but I've never been able to prove that. I know she was still Sarah Marquis in 1867 because I have recently come across the younger Sarah's baptism at the age of 6 in that year where her mother was named and her father was noted as being dead. It would seem that WILLIAM TOOD or whatever his name was could well be a child of the possible second marriage. If I only knew what that surname really was I might be able to find the rest of my family.

I've known about this mystery for about 10 years and have returned to it occasionally without being able to solve it. Now I really wannt to lay it to rest so any help would be gratefully received.

is
Old 29-03-17, 14:24
Administrator

The first letter of his surname doesn't look the same as the first letter of Lenhoutt, but it does look similar to the other T's on the page, so I would say it is Tood.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-03-17, 07:00

Thanks. There are a few other Toods in the US records but none of them obviously linked to my gt grandparents.....so the search goes on!