Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 16-01-17, 21:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I presume this reply is from fmp not TNA?

They are really showing how stupid they are in their responses to you. It is an insult to your intelligence and if they can't see that they are even more stupid. Could you construct another message to TNA regarding this response from fmp? It really is unacceptable.

So, they are saying they have death records that exactly match all these living 23 peers for name and dob? I absolutely don't believe that.
Quote:
I see that TV presenter you mentioned once before still has his record open. So, who else has died using his name and dob???? I would like them to show us that!!

There is no excuse for all these errors.
No, the reply is from TNA, sorry I didn't make that clear. They said they were going to post it on their blog but they haven't yet.

The 23 people were the ones in Who's Who, not the life peers, but yes, they seem to be saying there must be death records which match their names and dobs. I don't believe it either. When they post their reply on their blog I might post some specific examples and ask whether they are really saying that there must have been matching death records.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-01-17, 22:03
Administrator

Starting from the bottom of the list of living life peers and working upwards, just to find a few more examples, I now realise I should have gone through the whole list in the beginning instead of stopping at 100, since I see that the record of a former Deputy Prime Minister who is definitely still alive has been opened!

Edit - I have got through them all now and found six including the above, to add to the four I found in the first 100 plus Michael Heseltine, so 11 altogether. I didn't count how many I looked up altogether as it seemed pointless.

Old 17-01-17, 09:28
Administrator

Anybody who has requested a 1939 Register record to be closed should check both the index and the image to make sure that both have been done, since it seems that in many cases FMP either blank out the line on the image or delete the record from the index, but not both. If the name has been deleted from the index then you need to navigate to the image some other way to check, e.g. search for another name which was on the same image.

Old 18-01-17, 09:44
Administrator

TNA have posted a copy of their reply to me on their 1939 Register blog, but they seem to have closed it to new comments now. I suppose they want to have the last word!

I found out yesterday that my relative's record has been redacted on the image but is still in the index, same as the celebrity whose record I found, while the two politicians have been removed from the index but not redacted on the images. I originally brought these to FMP's attention via their Facebook page last November, and they asked me to email the details to their support email address, which I did, so yesterday I replied to support's old email reply, pointing out that the records hadn't been fully closed, and I have just had this reply from them:

Thank you for your email.

Please may I ask you use the " Close an open Record " option on the transcription.

I have asked you to do this because this is the correct why to close these records. I understand that you have just made us aware of these records in the past, however maybe this has led to the issues in question.

As such we should stick to the process. This will allow to track the closure and ensure it is done correctly. I am sure that you will want to fill in the form to ensure these records are closed.

In the form it will ask for evidence, however if you leave a short note stating why you wish these records to be closed.

Many thanks in advance of your co-operation.

I don't know why he is sure I want to fill in the form to get records closed when I only mentioned them in the first place to do FMP a favour, as I saw it. I did try filling in the form for my relative's record but it says I have to attach proof of their ID or it won't submit, so I guess the email is saying I have to type a note and attach it where the evidence would go? I will do that for that particular case but certainly not for the other records as it is not up to me to make sure they get deleted!

Edit - I copied his email into wordpad, saved it and attached it, but it says "Please upload an image file that ends in .jpg, .gif or .png" and still won't submit, so I will have to try again later. Does he want me to scan my "short note" in?!

Nell from TNA had previously posted this on that blog:
It is worth noting that at the present time Findmypast are not insisting on proof of identity being provided with any takedown request as originally planned. The process has been simplified: once notified Findmypast will remove the record regardless of proof of identity being provided; we have always been aware that could be problematic for older citizens who may no longer require a driving licence or passport. The revised process has still resulted in just a tiny number of requests, well within any anticipated margin for error and well within The National Archives’ accepted risk.

Requests for takedowns of identified living individuals should be sent to support [at] findmypast.co.uk

Seems to be contradicted by my experience. And the fact that the screen for submitting a request to close a record still asks for proof of ID and says nothing about this not being required will surely mean that most people who view the record of someone they know is still alive will not be able to submit a request, thus conveniently keeping down the number of requests.

I have contacted the Office of the Information Commissioner (previously the Data Protection Registrar) about the whole situation, and waiting to hear back from them but I would imagine it will take a while for them to investigate.

Old 18-01-17, 11:10
Administrator

Almost as soon as I left the house, I realised that I could attach a screenshot of Nell from TNA's post where it says I have to attach a JPG, so I have done that.

I was interested to see that the "takedown" form screen mentions the Data Protection Act at the top, so I guess FMP do consider that living people's records on the 1939 Register are covered by the Act, although I can't see where this is included in their Data Protection registration, which is up for renewal in June of this year.

Old 18-01-17, 13:12
Administrator

Do you think, if you submit a request to "close an open record" but the record is only open on the image and does not appear in the index, there is any chance of them actually doing what you ask? I wouldn't hold out too much hope having read that message fmp sent you.

(I have just sent them a query about my outstanding issues with page 1616a 006 and the surrounding pages, asking how much longer I have to be patient - as they requested in their last reply in May 2016!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-01-17, 13:52
Administrator

Quote:
Do you think, if you submit a request to "close an open record" but the record is only open on the image and does not appear in the index, there is any chance of them actually doing what you ask? I wouldn't hold out too much hope having read that message fmp sent you.
I wouldn't like to guess!

Quote:
(I have just sent them a query about my outstanding issues with page 1616a 006 and the surrounding pages, asking how much longer I have to be patient - as they requested in their last reply in May 2016!)
Hope they actually fix it this time round.

Old 18-01-17, 15:19
Administrator

I have had a reply from the support team saying that my relative's record will be closed in the next 72 hours:

Thank you for your query regarding closing a record.

All records of living individuals under 100 years of age in the 1939 Register should be closed.

Records opened in error are a result of one or more of the following:

a) Error in the date of birth field on the original record
b) Transcription error on the date of birth field
c) An incorrectly listed Death code in the postings column
d) A record incorrectly matched to a death record

I am however pleased to advise that the record has now been taken down as requested, it will removed within the next 72 hours in line with system updates.

I'm not sure why that "however" needs to be there? It means he is pleased to tell me the record is being closed, despite... what?

I keep getting emails from FMP Support asking me to review the site on Trustpilot: We would like to invite you to review Findmypast, as writing a review of your experience will help us improve customer satisfaction.

All reviews good, bad or otherwise matter to us, and will be visible immediately on Trustpilot

I am getting more and more tempted to do so!

Old 18-01-17, 15:45

You might like to send the details to the guy who does the Lost Cousins newsletter, which seems to have quite a wide circulation.
Old 18-01-17, 16:21
Administrator

Mary, I have sent you a PM.