Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 10-11-14, 14:55

Default (31) Reginald Backshall 2947, Royal Sussex Regt/5530 2/6th Battalion Royal Warks Regt

31st of the Old Boys of St Wilfrid's School. Haywards Heath to die in WW1.

Reginald was born on 5th Aug 1893 in Haywards Heath, Sussex where he lived with parents Benjamin and Fanny, brother Bernard and sister Emma at 4 Holly Bank Cottages, Triangle Road. His father was a bricklayer working on the railway. In 1911 they were still living with parents; Bernard was a gardener and Reginald a butcher.

Reginald was killed in action on 8 Jul 1916 and is commemorated on the Loos Memorial in France and has no known grave, he is also commemorated on his brother’s gravestone in St Wilfrid’s churchyard, Haywards Heath (Bernard died in hospital in Ipswich in 1917).

The Sussex Agricultural Express printed the following on the 18th August 1916:

Private G Pickett, of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, writes to Mrs Backshall of 8, Holly Bank Cottages, Haywards Heath :- “Having heard from home that you are anxious about your son, Reg, (Corporal R Backshall) I am sorry to say when I last heard of him he was wounded in a knee, and it is also reported that he is missing. You have my deepest sympathy but let us hope for the best. I may mention he was liked by everyone in the Company, and I also miss him very much. We are out of the trenches now for a rest after a very exciting time. I am pleased to say I am still keeping fit and well.”

His mother was paid his effects of £5 4s 10d on 25th Oct 1915, and received a War Gratuity of £8 10s on 21 Oct 1919.

Last edited by Jill; 19-01-15 at 17:13. Reason: error in numbering/effects