Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 20-01-17, 18:07

I can confirm that James was a bluebeard. Can't find his marriage to Margaret but he then married Mrs Elizabeth Frost of Bideford 22 Feb 1676/7 who he buried 14 August 1677. Next was Frances, and finally Mrs Ann Warren, widow 24 May 1688 who survived him.
Old 14-02-17, 17:54

Feeling very smug indeed about this family.

I've been dabbling at Kew, but most of the records are online, and by using Boyd's inhabitants of London and PCC wills (amongst other sources), I have proved that James was the son of Grace Chauncy and Richard Smith.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/51...1_311314-00298
Old 14-02-17, 18:07
Administrator

Well done.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-04-20, 00:41

Hello Phoenix (and Kiterunner),
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you have untangled the various Smyth/Smith's of Great Torrington? I did contact you last year I think about them, but have since made further progress on my own line. As far as I can tell at this stage, my ancestor was John Smyth, a brother of your James. It is very confusing with each generation having a James, John, Richard, and George.
Cheers, Darren
Old 24-04-20, 13:59

Okay
Richard Smyth married Johane who died 1620
Richard died 1631
Their son Richard married Garce Chauncey 13 October 1618 in Sawbridgeworth.
Richard died 21 February 1649 Great Torrington and Grace 7 April 1669.
Their son John (is this your John?) was born 1632. He was joint executor of his mother's will made 24 Feb 1667/8 and is described as "of Northiam, gent"
He is possibly the same John as the father of Grace bp 1665, who is described as son of Mr Richard Smith, Alderman.
A Mr John Smyth, marchant was bur 9 June 1680.
My ancestor, James, was baptised 4 Feb 1637 and buried 31 August 1703.
He had four wives and eleven children. Only two children survived him: Susannah by his first wife Margaret Rosier and James b 1681, by Frances Rowland.
James junior moved from Great Torrington and had four daughters.
Old 25-04-20, 23:09

Thanks Phoenix. That's pretty much how I've got it worked out, plus a couple of George's, among others. I've had slow going of it, because I can't locate several marriages.
According to Burke's Landed Gentry 1847, my ancestor William Palmer married Rebecca Smith 2 Sep 1698. With a complete date you would think I can find a marriage, but no. She is described as the daughter of (blank) Smith of Canonsleigh. This is what pointed me to the Great Torrington family.
From my research I have found Rebecca had a sister Mary, who married Elijah Dene. Both couples lived at Clyst Hydon (Elijah and William were curates of the parish). What I have found so far is a Mary Smyth was baptised in Great Torrington in 1648, daughter of John and Elizabeth Smyth, merchant. A Rebecca Smyth was baptised in Bideford in 1662, father John Smyth merchant. John's wife Elizabeth was buried in Bideford in 1663.
This is about as far as I have got. At this stage I think John was the brother of James. The Burke's entry having a slight error. There was a John Smyth senior and junior in Great Torrington as well, but I think senior was the brother of Richard, John and James' father.
Where did you find Grace's will?
Old 26-04-20, 07:06

Post 1 gives the source of the wills. It's a printed volume and may well be available in large genealogical libraries.

There are a lot of Johns. The Richard who married Johane had at least 8 sons, but I lose track of them very quickly.