Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-12-09, 15:34

Default BMDs during WW2

I was discussing deaths during WW2 with a contact and she said that some BMD registers were lost when the record office moved to Wales. She also said that some of the registration districts during this time were incorrect.

Can anyone confirm whether she's right or wrong please as I have no idea?
Old 17-12-09, 15:49
Administrator

Any particular area that moved to Wales? Does she mean Somerset House sent it's old records to Wales for safety? (I have no idea if that did happen!)

As for the accuracy of reg districts, I would think it would be hard to determine how many registrations were recorded under the wrong district (if that's what your contact meant?) without examining every registration for accuracy. I would imagine there's a chance there were more errors made in the war years due to registrars joining up and their work being done by less experienced people, or maybe in some cases due to bombings and other upheavals which might cause disruption.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-12-09, 16:16

I did have some doubts as to the accuracy of her statements because she's brand new to family history and had been speaking to a friend of hers who told her this. I couldn't find the death of a shared ancestor, but it's more likely to be because a relative got the year/s wrong from memory, and because she had a common name!

This is what she actually said in her email "...one of my friends who has been researching her family history for years said that registrations in the war years can be a bit of a problem as the records office moved to Wales, so the registration areas may not be correct and there is a bit of an issue about finding records in that time slot anyway."
Old 17-12-09, 16:27
Administrator

I would keep an open mind on that!

Did you realise the deaths are transcribed on Ancestry now, supposedly making it a bit easier to find people?

Did you want to say who you are looking for, or isn't that relevant at the mo??!!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-12-09, 16:27
Administrator

Quote:
and because she had a common name!
Ooops, missed that bit! lol

Old 17-12-09, 16:31

I was born in WWII in east London (it came under Essex then) and there's no problem finding the registration. I'm the last entry on a page so my name comes up in an Ancestry search.
Old 17-12-09, 16:43

Many thanks for your help, Merry and Uncle John.

I did check the new Ancestry deaths, but the ancestor is called Elizabeth Hudson (loads of them!) and a relative thinks she died during WW2 in Tooting Bec hospital It's OH's great-grandmother and it's not really important to find her death at the moment, I was just filling in a few blanks.
Old 17-12-09, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle John View Post
I was born in WWII in east London (it came under Essex then) and there's no problem finding the registration. I'm the last entry on a page so my name comes up in an Ancestry search.
Most of this line were born, married or died in East London - mainly Walthamstow, which was West Ham registration district and came under Essex. Are you related to me?
Old 17-12-09, 17:56
maggie_4_7

My OH was born in November 1944 in Northamptonshire because his mother was evacuated there, his Birth Reg is pretty easy to find, found it straight away although if he weren't around to tell anyone maybe we'd be looking in West Ham because that's where they lived!
Old 17-12-09, 18:36

My ex was born in WW2, in Buckinghamshire and registered there. His mother was in a hospital for Officers' wives when she gave birth. They normally lived in London.

I have never heard that the war affected registrations in any way, other than that people may have been born/married/died somewhere unexpected, nor have I ever heard of any clumps of missing records in WW2.

Remember that every event is recorded TWICE - once at the local Register Office, who then pass on their quarterly returns to the GRO. Very unlikely that all the local ROs moved to Wales during the war, and also very unlikely that both records of one event would be lost.

OC