Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 29-03-14, 21:59

This thread prompted me to go and look at GR again and check what I put there.

I am in 9 other trees, I know who 7 of them are, and I think I am just a spouse on some.

I thought I would then see if anyone is now researching some of the more unusual names in my tree - and turned up very few extra members who I did not already know.
Old 01-04-14, 12:26

Just had an email letting me know I have been removed from the tree of the complete stranger in which I feature and they have reminded him of the T&Cs.
Old 02-04-14, 16:40

That's good, Jill. I keep getting told they can't find them in the tree but I'm still in the index so we'll see what happens
Old 02-04-14, 18:35
Administrator

It's quite a few years since I've paid my GR sub, so I've not looked at other peoples trees for a long time, but didn't they introduce a system whereby if you had living people in your tree you could privatise their entries so that if you gave another member access to your tree they wouldn't see those names, however, if you did a search for the name through the Search All Member Trees the name would still appear in the index?

They couldn't be dumb enough to be looking for privatised tree entries, could they??

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-04-14, 19:21

Merry's right, living people can be hidden, but they remain in the index! I must say, I thought they had closed that loophole years ago. Apparently not.

OC
Old 02-04-14, 19:40
Administrator

Can you prove they haven't closed the loophole, OC? I can't because I can't look at trees and then compare them with the index, as I don't pay a sub.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-04-14, 20:16

If I am looking for a connection, I search for two to three known or suspected names with the same tree owner. Rarely bother to ask to see the tree, just go off and do a bit more research.

And on Ancestry, two individuals may be greyed out, but if parents' surnames are given it is hardly rocket science to find the marriage.
Old 02-04-14, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Can you prove they haven't closed the loophole, OC? I can't because I can't look at trees and then compare them with the index, as I don't pay a sub.
We would have to do some serious playing to work that out as you'd have to know that an individual was privatised. Last time I looked, my rogue contact had living person details visible on his tree.
Old 02-04-14, 20:48
Administrator

No, it was easy!

OH is watching some rubbish called The Tomorrow People on TV, so as he's not answering my Qs at the moment (or listening to what I'm asking ), I hacked into his GR account () and looked at the trees he has access to. I found one belonging to one of his distant cousins. OH wasn't on it at all, but on his line his mother is there, but her box says "Hidden H Hidden" for the name (as she would have been alive when the tree was uploaded). I then went to 'Search All Member Trees' and did a search for OH's mother and one of the results was the tree of this cousin with Yes recorded for OH already being in contact, and the same membership number, so it's definitely the same tree.

Old 03-04-14, 18:46

That would be typical wouldn't it! It would explain why they keep telling me they can't find them in the tree. Thank you for this suggestion, I'll contact them *again*