Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 30-06-14, 18:20

Default A passenger list from 1851

Hi,

My greatx3 grandfather Maurice Chryst (Maurycy Christ etc) was a Polish refugee that landed in Liverpool on the 4th March 1851 on board the Aspia. I believe the ship sailed from Constantinople 22nd January 1851.

Would there be any record of the passenger list for this journey anywhere? I am very interested in what variant of his name would be on the list. The 1851 census had him as a Cavalry Man.

I still have no idea where in Poland he was born so I am currently trying to concentrate on finding what I can of him from his arrival in to the UK and him ending up in Sheffield in 1854.

Many thanks
Old 01-07-14, 08:30

Hiya Claire ...did he marry in Liverpool before he went to Sheffield ?
added....do you have him in 1851 census in Liverpool ??
I have found Crist family in Liverpool in 1861 census - but if he didn`t marry in Liverpool , I presume they are not his family ??

Maurice dies in 1906 june qtr aged 76 in Sheffield ...so he was born 1830 / 31...so he was only 20 /21 when he came to England .in 1851..so I presume he married in Sheffield - but I can`t find his marriage ??

Last edited by garstonite; 01-07-14 at 09:40.
Old 01-07-14, 09:53

I don't think that passenger records were kept systematically for this period, Claire. As he was cavalry, then there may be some military records that could help.

He appears as 'Chryst, Maurycy' in this:

http://archive.org/stream/pamitnikje.../n147/mode/2up

It's the Diary of General Vysotsky, Commander of the Polish Legion at the time of the Hungarian Campaign 1848-1849.

He is listed under the headings: Kawalerya (cavalry) and Wachmistrze (sergeant).

In 1848, the General signed an agreement with the Hungarian Government to form a Polish infantry battalion which consisted of a 2,000 plus foot soldiers and 400 cavalrymen. The Poles who joined the cause were from the region of Galicia.

They took part in the Siege of Arad (in modern-day Romania) in the spring of 1849 and battles at Szolnok (Hungary), Hatvan (Hungary), Tapio Bicske (Hungary) and Isaszeg (Hungary). After the battle of Temesvar (now Timisoara in modern-day Romania), and the surrender of the Hungarians at Vilagos (now Siria, Romania), 800 of the men escaped to Turkey.

Russia and Hungary demanded that the men be deported to those countries. This is what was said by Lord Palmerston about the issue in Parliament on 7 February 1850.

'It is well known, that after the termination of the war in Hungary a very considerable number of persons, Hungarians, Poles, and some Italians, took refuge in the Turkish provinces. A demand was made by the Governments of Austria and Russia on Turkey for the surrender of such of those individuals as were Austrian or Russian subjects. That demand was founded upon the Treaty of Kaimardji with regard to Russia, and upon the Treaty of Belgrade in regard to Austria. The Sultan, feeling that the obligations of hospitality, which are considered even more paramount, if possible, in the East than in any other part of the world, precluded him from complying with that demand; and looking at the terms of the Treaty of Kaimardji, and seeing that he had clearly an alternative, and that the engagement contracted by that treaty permitted him to choose that alternative, he refused to comply with the demand made by Russia of surrendering those individuals, but stated that he was ready to fulfil the other condition of the treaty, namely, that of expelling other individuals, chiefly Poles, from his territory. With regard to the demand of Austria, it certainly did not appear, by the Treaty of Belgrade, that there was any condition which required the Sultan to surrender Austrian subjects who might have sought refuge within his territories; with regard to Austria's demand, therefore, he was still more at liberty to refuse compliance, than 499 he was with respect to the demand made by Russia. The manner in which those demands were made at Constantinople, by the organs of the Russian and Austrian Governments, excited alarm in the Government of Turkey as to the consequences which might follow from a refusal to comply with those demands, even though the Government of Turkey felt that they were not by treaty compelled or liable to comply with them. In that state of things, the Turkish Government turned its eyes to those friendly Powers to whom it might look for support, and an appeal was made to the Government of England, and also to the Government of France, for their friendly support in the critical circumstances in which Turkey might find itself. Her Majesty's Government, acting, as I think they did, in strict unison with the universal feeling of the country as it was manifested on that occasion, determined to give the Sultan the support which he had asked. Friendly representations were made to the Government of Austria and the Government of Russia, explaining the grounds upon which it appeared to Her Majesty's Government that the Sultan was not bound to comply with the demands which had been made.'

This same debate states that while some of the men were born in areas now ruled by Russia, most came from the Province of Galicia.

From The Spectator archive:

A curious contest is going on at Liverpool, over a body of refugees from Hungary, which arrived on Monday last, in the Arpia, a Sardinian merchant-vessel. They are in number 262; of which 10 are natives of Hungary, 5 of Germany, Bohemia, and Italy, 247 of Poland. The Poles are the remnant of the Polish Legion in Hungary under General Wysocki, of whom more than a thousand were confined at Schumla. Among the friends of this residuary band there are two parties,—one wishing them to go on to America; the other wishing them to stop for a limited time in England, in order that they may have a chance of returning to their native country. The American project is favoured by the British Government, which offers to each emigrant a bonus of Si. if he will proceed. It is alleged by the other party, that in this course the British Government is subservient to the Absolutist party on the Continent, which desires that the Poles should be carried off as far as possible. The favourers of the American project have the advantage of constituted authority on their aide; but the opposite party have defeated an attempt to exclude them from access to the exiles.

From the Liverpool Courier

ARRIVAL OF THE HUNGARIAN REFUGEES
On Tuesday, the Sardinian brig Arpia, Captain Bartholletto, arrived in the Mersey with the expected Hungarian refugees. The vessel is direct from Constantinople, and brings 262 passengers. These people are confided to the care of the authorities here, who have made arrangements with Mr. Sabell, of the Emigrant's Home, in Moorfields, to receive them. They will be landed today, and taken to their refuge. Though the vessel which brought them over is small, there has been no sickness on board, and they speak in high terms of the treatment they have met with on the voyage, and also of the conduct of the Turkish people during their stay of eighteen months in that country. They consist chiefly of Poles, mixed with Italians and Hungarians, and they are of all grades in rank. They are exceedingly poor, though healthy and in good spirits. An attempt will be made to further their interests, by opening a subscription in this town, with the object of forwarding them to America. The costumes of the refugees are various, and we believe they will be found to be. a fine set of men. These refugees have appealed to us in distress; they have been unfortunate, but they are brave men, and there can be little doubt that the appeal to English sympathies will be liberally responded to.

The 1851 census shows loads of Polish men at the same address in Liverpool. I wonder if there are any records relating to the Mr Sabell's Emigrants' Home? Also, do you know if Maurice was ever naturalised?
Old 01-07-14, 10:21

Hi Allan & Shona,

Maurice married in Sheffield at Ecclesall Church on the 16th May 1858 to Helen Beckitt. His name on the marriage certificate was Moritz Christ. He names his father as Philip Christ, Manufacturer. This would tie in with them naming their first child Karol Philip Chryst.

I know he was in Sheffield in 1854 as he is named on an article in a Sheffield newspaper which was written by some of the Polish refugees that had settled there. They had signed their names to the article. He is named as Maurycy Chryst on this article too.

There were some Polish refugee settlers in Sheffield in 1851 and one of them was a witness to Maurice's marriage to Helen. In fact, the marriage had 3 witnesses, all Polish men. I am not convinced that he stayed in Liverpool for much longer after the 1851 census was taken but if he didn't, obviously I don't know if he came straight to Sheffield and why Sheffield.

That document is an excellent find Shona. Again, the name matches how he has written it on the Sheffield newspaper article and he is also listed under the 'cavalry' heading which is what he is given as being on the 1851 census. Many thanks for the write up of the history of that particular battle.

I know from another newspaper article i've read is that all the people on the Aspia from Constantinople were all meant to travel on to America but not many of them actually did.

I would dearly like to know if there are any records relating to Mr Sabell's home. I probably should send an email to Liverpool Library/Archives to ask them about this.

Maurice claimed on the 1901 census that he was a naturalised British subject but I went to Kew about 8 years ago now and they said they could find no record of this. They did say it could have been destroyed but it was more likely it never occurred. He also claimed on this census that he was born in Austria but when you look at the image, it did originally say Poland and then crossed it out. I do believe that must be something to do with the boarder changes around the time of his birth. His birthplace in Poland might have been under Austrian rule at that time.

He would be born circa 1830. He is very consistent with his age on all census/certificates etc.
Old 01-07-14, 10:45

Moorfields is still a busy part of Liverpool with a Railway Station there ...if we had a number of Mr Sabells home ??...I will be able to go and have a look next time I am in the City Centre ...
maybe these can help ??
http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/index.html
scroll down to Passenger Lists - then click on Misc 1851
there is a passenger lists for 1851 ...I will let you look first - you may be lucky ...good luck
Old 01-07-14, 12:17

Allan, it looks like he was Frederick Sabel and the address was 28 Moorfields. These have come up on a few google searches but not yet found him on the census. A lot reference it was a 'Union Hostel/Hotel' and that it was popular with emigrants.

Sadly nothing on that link in reference to Maurycy Chryst.
Old 01-07-14, 12:27

I don't think that he would have stayed very long at Mr Sabell's. This account from the Montreal Gazette from 25 June 1852 reveals the volume of migrants using the establishment.

THE GERMAN EMIGRATION
The emigration from Liverpool this year, thus far, has exceeded that of any previous year...Last Tuesday the Pelican steamer, from Rotterdam, brought 480 emigrants, the greater portion of whom were accommodated in Mr. Sabell's admirably conducted establishment in Moorfields, and nearly all shipped on Thursday last. On Friday another detachment of 500 arrived by special train from Goole. Today 200 more are expected by the same route; and 300 more are expected by the Pelican. The number for the present month, it is calculated, will reach 15,000.

A great increase of all descriptions of emigrants may, however, be looked for so soon as the rate of passage is reduced to a reasonable limit, by the arrival of the immense quantity of American shipping now long overdue. The greatest amount of emigration was last year in the month of April, when it reached 25,447 persons. The numbers will probably reach that amount in the present month; but if, as is possible, and very probable, the rate of passage is reduced to from £3 to £3 5s, in the course of the next fortnight, the month of May will show, from Liverpool, the greatest Exodus ever experienced in modern history.
Old 01-07-14, 13:00

Frederick Sabel/Sabell was German and set up the Union Hotel - later the Emigrants Home - at 28 Moorfields. He charged 1s a day for bed (not actually bed, but a space!) and three meals. He set up the home to counter the actions of 'runners' who were fleecing the emigrants.

Interesting account of the home and the one run by Frederick Marshall at Clarence Dock here:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-04/0925132820
Old 01-07-14, 13:03

Claire - who were the three Polish men who were witnesses at Maurice's wedding? You said one of them was already in Sheffield in 1851.
Old 01-07-14, 13:19

As Maurice may have been from Galicia, you may find this useful:

http://blogs.transparent.com/polish/...ld-is-galicia/

There is a public tree on Ancestry which claims that Maurice was born in Astripe.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/407...91720425?ssrc=

You could try contacting the tree owner to ask where the info came from. You could also post a question on that Where in the World is Galicia? blog, so see if anyone has heard of that place.