Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 17-03-19, 16:23
Administrator

Default Confused!

OH was looking at his DNA matches and saw a tree with his grandmother on it. He sent a message to the tree owner and they replied saying his grandmother is their 1st cousin 3x removed (but didn't say anything more!).

OH is out, so he texted me to ask if I could look at it. Trouble is, I can't find anything about this tree owner. I can't find her on his DNA match list and if I search his grandmother's name she only appears on one tree which belongs to someone else.

Why can't I find this woman and her tree??

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-03-19, 16:27
Administrator

Do you have access to his messages? If so then you should be able to navigate to the person's profile and then it should (hopefully) say they are a DNA match and you can click to view the match and get to their tree that way.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-03-19, 16:31
Administrator

I tried that. Everyone he has written to says they are not a DNA match with him! (isn't that an Ancestry glitch?)

Others he's contacted show one or more trees on their profile so I can click those, but this woman's profile doesn't show any trees.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-03-19, 16:32
Administrator

Just thinking about it some more, when you say you searched his grandmother's name, do you mean you searched public trees, or you searched his DNA match list (which can only be searched by surname, not full name)? Some trees don't come up when you search public trees, possibly because there are no records attached to them. If you haven't tried searching his DNA matches for the surname, try that.

Old 17-03-19, 16:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I tried that. Everyone he has written to says they are not a DNA match with him! (isn't that an Ancestry glitch?)
Oh yes, I've had that happen to me with a few matches recently too. So annoying.

Old 17-03-19, 16:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Just thinking about it some more, when you say you searched his grandmother's name, do you mean you searched public trees, or you searched his DNA match list (which can only be searched by surname, not full name)? Some trees don't come up when you search public trees, possibly because there are no records attached to them. If you haven't tried searching his DNA matches for the surname, try that.
Yes, I did both. When I searched his DNA list the results list was massive because the surname is common (Rogers), but I kept on scrolling and scrolling. I asked him if he could remember what level of relation they were, but he hasn't replied. I tried adding the county of birth, but then the results list went from hundreds down to 2!! Neither were the right person.

Old 17-03-19, 16:50

Check his sent messages.
I've just sent a message to someone, but it's the tree manager, not the DNA match.
Old 17-03-19, 16:58
Administrator

His sent message was to the person I'm looking for and the same person who replied.

I'm going to re-search the surname on the DNA matches in case I stopped the list before it had finished generating. If this lady is about a 4th cousin of OH (his nan was her 1st cousin 3x removed) then I wouldn't have expected her to be very far down the list. Plus, OH isn't the sort to have made it very far down the list either!!

Old 17-03-19, 17:04
Administrator

Scrolled through all 326 matches (well, the list stopped being generated, so I presume that's all the Rogers matches?) and, she isn't there!

Now I'm going to look at Thru Lines.....

Old 17-03-19, 17:16
Administrator

Could she have the grandmother listed under her married name in her tree? Quite a few people do that, annoyingly.