Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 09-03-19, 15:01
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Back to Lab.
The new system gives numbers. Not only what you have analysed (pitifully few) but the total as well. 22,975 for me, excluding hidden ones.
What are Hidden Matches?
Old 09-03-19, 15:19

Closer Matches 275
Distant Matches 34,462

Not bad going for them since I only got the results at the end of January ..
Old 09-03-19, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
What are Hidden Matches?
The ones you put in the trash can.
Old 09-03-19, 15:41
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The ones you put in the trash can.

I will be filling that up soon
Old 09-03-19, 22:22

Yesterday I watched a Youtube video from a group called Family Tree Fanatics which was quite good at explaining how to work out if a match is a good/true match or likely to be a false positive.

The man talked about working out statistics for good matches over all the DNA databases and how their algorithms and number of test results can show you a more manageable way to investigate your DNA matches. He had his DNA on all databases, but I don't, and am not likely too. But the premise of working out which is better for your matches probably okay.

The recommendation was that the smaller the cM match and more segments makes it more a possible false match, just a sort-of regional match. He sorted his matches only down to 35cM.

Looking at it from his American point of view was interesting, so I tried to adjust it for my Australian perspective - that is there are a lot less matches on GedMatch and probably 23 and Me and others, than Ancestry.

I put all those really small cM matches (less than 20) into the hidden files, unless they have a family worth investigating, or in one case, a common ancestor nominated. That one bears more investigation as it seems to make the link across several family trees. Maybe I will re-visit the hidden files in the future.

If you are interested in statistics and algorithms for DNA databases, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9tV...&feature=share

Di
Old 09-03-19, 22:27

I don't think that would work for me as I only have 15 matches of 35 cM and above.

Most of my brick walls and points of interest are quite far back so for those purposes I have to look at more remote matches, unfortunately.
Old 09-03-19, 23:42
Administrator

I only have 27 matches on ancestry with 35 cM and above, 18 of which are on my Dad's side, so it wouldn't work for me either. 121 above 35 cM on MyHeritage, but 91 of those are Jewish and probably not very closely related to me at all.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-03-19, 04:26

On the DNA tab there is now a "Last match Viewed" line which I think will help with navigating down the long list.
Old 10-03-19, 08:14

I am more generous than discarding matches less than 35cMs.

I have a couple of positive DNA matches at 7 and 8cMs, but they have family trees, pretty well researched that lead to a common ancestor - with no trees or common ancestor worked out by Ancestry, its just too exhausting to try and find the match.

There must be people with whom we have a very small match who are as genealogically minded us and and who put their whole family tree up - they are the people we want to match with and follow up.

I have some matches in the 20-30cMs range with over 10,000 people in their trees, and not one name matches anyone in my 5000+ tree. Mostly they are US people, all the way back to the early 1700s which puzzles me greatly.

Di
Old 10-03-19, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquette View Post
Mostly they are US people, all the way back to the early 1700s which puzzles me greatly.
Assuming their trees are correct.

I've come to the conclusion I have a missing romeo who snuck over the the US, slept with umpteen married women who all passed their love child off as their husband's child and those children all had many, many descendants and they have all done a DNA test.