Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-03-19, 15:17
Administrator

Quote:
Which is the best family tree website to use so I can look for the siblings of Arthur Henry Wright and Mary Molineux?
Easiest question first!

If you want to follow up the UK part of your tree you would really need to subscribe to a site like Ancestry or Find My Past (there are others). You would need access to the census returns and various birth marriage and death records and whilst there are various places you can find some free records, in the end it makes researching easier if you subscribe to one of the major sites. They do occasionally have free access weekends which can be useful.

Remember, we don't actually know for definite that your grandmother is the Mary Molyneux born in West Bromwich District (in Harmsworth) in 1873, dau of Edward Molyneux and Mary Heynes, though it is very likely as her age is a close match with Mary Wright in Canada. She said her husband's mother was Mary Heynes at his death. Whilst this information was obviously incorrect, it's a massive coincidence if it's not her own mother's name!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-03-19, 15:24
Administrator

My first suggestion for your Canadian relatives would be to search the Toronto Star archive which is online via the Toronto Public Library - I can't search it as you need to be a member of the library:

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail?R=EDB0111

And my second one would be to search for probate records at the Archives of Ontario:
https://torontofamilyhistory.org/res...obate-records/

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-03-19, 15:32
Administrator

I have been looking for Mary's death (or remarriage) with no luck yet. And not managed to find out anything about Reginald and Grace's child/ren apart from the name from the 1921 census. But maybe the Toronto Star archive or probate records would help with those.

Old 07-03-19, 16:21
Administrator

The old Toronto City Directories are available for free online:
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/...irectories.jsp

and you don't have to be a member of the Toronto Public Library to access those.

The 1933 directory has an entry for Wright, Mary (wid. Arthur) at 925 Kingston Road, but then in the 1934 directory, 925 Kingston Rd is vacant. Maybe she moved in with Reginald and Grace after that? But unfortunately the city directories only tend to give the name of the head of household.

Old 08-03-19, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Easiest question first!

If you want to follow up the UK part of your tree you would really need to subscribe to a site like Ancestry or Find My Past (there are others). You would need access to the census returns and various birth marriage and death records and whilst there are various places you can find some free records, in the end it makes researching easier if you subscribe to one of the major sites. They do occasionally have free access weekends which can be useful.

Remember, we don't actually know for definite that your grandmother is the Mary Molyneux born in West Bromwich District (in Harmsworth) in 1873, dau of Edward Molyneux and Mary Heynes, though it is very likely as her age is a close match with Mary Wright in Canada. She said her husband's mother was Mary Heynes at his death. Whilst this information was obviously incorrect, it's a massive coincidence if it's not her own mother's name!
Thank you for the above and I agree that the Mary Heynes connection is too much of a coincidence. The Canadian side of the family are now excitedly responding and I am sure they may well get involved with the Canadian side of things. Thank you again. Howard
Old 08-03-19, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
The old Toronto City Directories are available for free online:
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/...irectories.jsp

and you don't have to be a member of the Toronto Public Library to access those.

The 1933 directory has an entry for Wright, Mary (wid. Arthur) at 925 Kingston Road, but then in the 1934 directory, 925 Kingston Rd is vacant. Maybe she moved in with Reginald and Grace after that? But unfortunately the city directories only tend to give the name of the head of household.
Thank you for all the pointers towards continuing the Canadian search. The Canadian side of the family are excitedly getting involved and I will pass all your information onto them. However their age, even my nephew and niece are older than me, and computer literacy maybe a barrier. We will see!
Thanks also for your latest bit of information about Granny Mary and her address in Kingston Road. She would have been about 60 in 1933. I hope her life in Canada was better than her early life in the UK even though she lost a son and her husband in upsetting circumstances! Kind regards
Howard