Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 11-01-19, 12:51

Default Can anyone see the pictures?

Lady Elizabeth Mabel Northcote/Bruce

I have found a website that purports to have pictures of Lady Elizabeth Northcote/Bruce but I can not get the pictures to download.

Initially I thought the website was too old and I have PM'd Janet as I think she is the guru of finding old archives of websites to see if she could get the pictures.

However a second look makes me think that isn't the issue as the photos "are not secure". Firefox has blocked them and nothing I can do will unblock them. The bits I have to click on to unblock do not appear on my screen and I have updated firefox.

I've also tried chrome and edge but they are still blocked.

The issue is not the photos themselves but as they are not "secure" ie sent over http, rather than https, it is possible for hackers to hack somehow. Mind you as far as I can tell this website is also not hppts so I don't know why I can access this website.

What I want is anyone who can access the photos to screenshot them and email them to me, or post them here if that is easier/preferable.

Her tale is a sad one. She was an old spinster, over 30 years of age, second daughter of an earl. She appears to find love, not a marriage of convenience, marries her suitor, an older man, and travels across the world to Windermere, British Columbia. He starts to make a fortune and build her a beautiful house, while they live on a houseboat. She however died during WW1 of appendicitis due largely to a lack of doctors as all the doctors in the area had gone to the war. He is devastated and buries her on the property, even building the grave a decent shelter, both which still stand today. He later donates the house to the community and ironically, it becomes a hospital in her name. It is currently a culture and arts centre, although the property has been spoiled a little, in my opinion, by a cafe built in front of the property to enjoy the wonderful views.

She has touched my heart and I'd love a photo of her. The article has 2 - as a child and on her wedding day. Googling has failed to find others.
Old 11-01-19, 13:16
Administrator

I couldn't get those pics but there is this one:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-v...9-0cab510077a1

on Ancestry.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-01-19, 13:19
Administrator

Also, if you have access to fmp there are plenty of wedding photos printed in the newspapers, though the quality isn't great you might be able to determine if the Ancestry photo is the same person.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-01-19, 21:03

Guru? No, Toni. Rather, attentive student! I picked up the Wayback Machine trick (archive.org) from others on here, all of them admins I believe. Today I looked there but could not conjure anything for you. There do exist some archives there of that Columbia Valley Pioneer publication, but not the one you want.

I think your best bet is one or both of these:

Contact the Columbia Valley Pioneer

Order from the Windermere Valley Museum

The museum might be your most direct route to the photos you want, as I saw they were credited as the source of at least one of the published images.

EDIT: I've now PM'd you too.

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 11-01-19 at 21:24.
Old 12-01-19, 08:00

Thank you both for trying and the ideas on where to go from here.

Merry I have seen that photo before but could not locate it anywhere else and the Northcote family seem to have photos in papers, art galleries etc so that I know the image to be correct. That one I can not replicate, although maybe I should throw it in google images and see it it gives an answer.
Old 12-01-19, 09:04

I have to say Merry is a genius. I have found a wedding photo of Lady Elizabeth to Robert Bruce. It is a little grainy so I'm not sure if she is the picture on ancestry, although it probably is.
Old 12-01-19, 09:05

FMP link to newspaper pictire of wedding
Old 12-01-19, 10:03

and the ancestry photo is also from a newspaper, but is clearer than the paper.