Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 09-03-19, 16:24
Administrator

OK, ancestry says I share 3,421 cM with my Dad across 81 segments, while My Heritage says 3,534 cM across 22 segments. So in this instance, MyHeritage is counting each full chromosome as a segment, because all the DNA on 1 of each pair of my chromosomes comes from one or other of Dad's corresponding chromosomes. It doesn't split the chromosomes into segments based on which of his 2 chromosomes any particular bit of DNA came from. As for ancestry, I know they filter out some of the common Jewish DNA, so I don't know whether that is why they say 81 segments, or if they do actually only count as a segment if it is all on the same one of his chromosomes. I can't find an example of a typical parent / child comparison on Ancestry at the moment to see whether they usually say 22 segments or not.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-03-19, 16:28
Administrator

Ooh, thanks for that link, Phoenix! I guess you answered my question on post #11 before I had even asked it!

Still not sure what the situation is with my matches but hopefully I will find out eventually, and will be sure to report back when I do!

Old 20-03-19, 16:43
Administrator

Bother, I wish I had looked at some of these while the extra shared matches were showing. Maybe it would have given me a clue. I will try to remember to do it if they show them again.

Old 19-08-20, 10:44
Administrator

Now we have the "longest segment" info available, I have looked at one of the DNA matches that I was asking about, and it says "longest segment 19 cM" for both me and my Dad, so it is the Timber algorithm removing more of that segment from the match to my Dad than from the match to me. As we suspected.