Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-03-19, 08:25

Default Mrs Robinson

Mrs Robinson is a bit of a mystery. Her name is Elizabeth but whether Robinson is her maiden name or married name is yet to be determined.

Elizabeth is an Australian convict and arrived on the John Renwick in 1838.
Elizabeth Robinson Elizabeth Robinson

She applies to marry William Jones in 1842 and 1843 but is refused as she is married with 2 children. I think she was married in England when she was convicted.
Refusal Jan 1842 Refusal in Sep 1843

She later marries William in October 1843 in Goulburn NSW although I have not found a permission ledger. William is also a convict and he arrived on the Asia.

To my way of thinking Elizabeth Robinson is her married name. She was born about 1808 according to her grave, I don't have her death certificate but there are no parents name on the BDM index to help look for a baptism.

When I first started researching online trees said her maiden name was Arberry but I have been unable to find any Arberry/Robinson marriages. Online trees now say her mother's maiden name was Arberry and her father James Robinson and she was born in Lancashire in 1808. There is a baptism to suit this but no proof it is her.

Ancestry hints are also popping up a marriage for an Elizabeth Arberry to a George Gephart but I also can't find another name change to Robinson or any children born to George.
George Gephart

I don't know if anything can be found but if I don't ask I wont find out.

Last edited by Kit; 04-03-19 at 08:28.
Old 04-03-19, 10:11
Administrator

Did William and Elizabeth have any children, Toni?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-03-19, 12:25

Yes.

Most died young:
Jane b 1840 d 1840
Susan b 1841 d 1847
Mary Ann b 1843 d 1844
William b 1845 d 1926 married Mary Ann Ceeney
Elizabeth b 1847
Charles b 1484 d 1901 married Elizabeth Venables
James b 1850 d 1851
Old 04-03-19, 12:47
Administrator

And do any of the children's death registrations (William's or Charles's, I suppose) give mother's maiden name?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-03-19, 02:35

I don't know. I can't find my folder with my certificates at the moment to check if I have Charles' but then I should already know the answer if it was there. I wouldn't have William's. We spent a week at Grenfell where they were buried and I got a lot of information there, I may not have bought the certificate.

I'm asking someone who may know as she has a very well detailed tree, although no sources listed.

As a side note - William was convicted and transported for 14 years for being an accomplice, I guess, to a man who tried to steal a handkerchief out of third man's pocket. William was walking up the street, near the thief, when it happened and was 'caught' when a police officer heard someone cry out. Both William and the thief deny knowledge of each other and even the person who witnessed the crime said they did not speak, nor did William touch the handkerchief. It was harsh in those days.